• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Fluid blowing out of D44 Vent

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
I have gear fluid blowing out of the vent tube on my D44, I had Whiley Enterprises install an ARB right before Nac Fest and I had gear oil all over the place when I got up there from driving on 81. I got home and changed fluid, filled to drain plug an it hasn't done it until this morning driving on 81 for about 2 miles at 65mph. Fluid dripping out the hole behind the front leaf spring mount.
I have done a search and saw about o ring seals for the ARB, but it's new with less than 700 miles on it. Any ideas? The vent line is from the D35, my thought is it might be to small of a line. But what do I know, I'm asking for help.
Juice

There needs to be a notch cut in one of the carrier caps to relieve the oil build up. IIRC ?
Do a search,it has been discussed several times in the past 6 mo.
Wayne

yup. i had the exact same issue with my arb installed in a d44....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57993

if you read the instructions (the shop that installed mine musta missed it :gonnablow ) there is an entire page with all the text bolded explaining what needs to be done. basically a new hole is needed to be drilled in the driver's side of the diff at the bottom where the bearing rides.

you know ive seen this alot in the heavy truck industry
you have work done then oil starts to spill out the vent going down the road
if you mix syn oil and regular it tends to foam therefor it overflows like a shaken beer

Happen to me to. I didnt make the hole big enough.:doh: Mine was even coming out the seal. Just notched mine like the other side .What a pain in the a$$. It would be nice if ARB said what size hole it should be in their manual.
Pull your cover and take a look.

Its not a "hole" ,just a relief cut/grind,it doesnt take much.

Back