• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO intake on RENIX-no gains, but will it work?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok first off I've read a bunch of previous threads and have even been a part of a few of them which show there is really no advantage to putting the HO intake manifold on the stock RENIX head. BUT...I just ordered that "knock off" Banks header and tried to shove it on my RENIX with my stock intake and my intake manifold won't clear it. However, I've got an HO intake manifold laying around. If I would put it on my Renix I know about the several problems I would run into including...
1. The throttle cable
2. The TPS
3. Fuel lines
4. Ports not exactly lining up
5. No EGR(better anyway, since we don't do inspections)
The only ones I'm concerned about are the TPS and the ports not lining up exactly. Those who have done this, what have you done about the TPS and do the ports turn out to be a big deal or not?
Help ASAP would be great guys, I'm trying to get this back together soon.
Thanks,
Collin

jfiscus said:
Here are answers to the TPS question:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90367

I have no idea on the ports part of the question.

You WILL need the HO accel & tranny kickdown cable to do this swap. Exhaust downpipe also routes differently, so you'd have to redo/modify some of the exhaust system.
In your picture in that thread, how did you do the TPS, did you have to cut out anything or not? Also, about the fuel issue, should I reuse my injectors and also what about the 91+ regulator,will it work out on mine?

Last edited:
BigBlackHeep said:
In your picture in that thread, how did you do the TPS, did you have to cut out anything or not? Also, about the fuel issue, should I reuse my injectors and also what about the 91+ regulator,will it work out on mine?

I am running the injectors from the 93 along with its fuel rail/regulator.
I had to trim the black plastic some to reuse the stock bolts. I made sleeves for them to hold the TPS in place away from the TB. I notched the middle of the TPS sensor to accept the male shaft of the TB.

jfiscus said:
I am running the injectors from the 93 along with its fuel rail/regulator.
I had to trim the black plastic some to reuse the stock bolts. I made sleeves for them to hold the TPS in place away from the TB. I notched the middle of the TPS sensor to accept the male shaft of the TB.
I see, so how'd you make the sleeves? Also do you know how the TV cable attaches to the inside of the tranny? Is it just one of those pressure fit dealies like it is on the TB end?

Last edited:
The tranny end of the kickdown cable sleeve is attached by bolt/screw to the side of the tranny near the pan & NSS. The cable itself goes into a "spring-loaded" tensioner mechanism inside the transmission. This is inside the pan, so you'll have to drain/refill the pan & you might as well change the filter while you're in there. It's easy to change this end out, the hard part is getting the pan sealed back good.

I cut a small socket in half with an angle grinder to make the sleeves, I'm sure there is a better way.

I was looking to put the HO exhaust manifold on my non-HO motor as well. What is the fitment issue?
Where does it hit?
Could it be solved with a little clearance grinding or cutting or is it really severe?

Thanks

Bender said:
I was looking to put the HO exhaust manifold on my non-HO motor as well. What is the fitment issue?
Where does it hit?
Could it be solved with a little clearance grinding or cutting or is it really severe?

Thanks
Well theres no way the aftermarket headers(at least Banks and the one from APN) will fit without changing to the HO intake, I mean you would be grinding into the airways of the intake several inches. Thats the problem I'm running into. The stock HO exhaust will fit fine with the Renix intake manifold though.

you dont need to do the TPS mod, all you need is the HO connector off the harness, and it will plug in and work fine, im running the TPS off a ford SHO on my stroker (73mm throttle body) they all pretty much put out the same voltage

tealcherokee said:
you dont need to do the TPS mod, all you need is the HO connector off the harness, and it will plug in and work fine, im running the TPS off a ford SHO on my stroker (73mm throttle body) they all pretty much put out the same voltage
Ooooh really? I thought the Renix one needed to be adjusted though? Are you positive that'll work correctly?

Actually it sounds like it will work okay, I read some of yours and 5-90s' old posts. Did you ever figure out which wire color would tie into which wire color on the harness?

jfiscus said:
The tranny end of the kickdown cable sleeve is attached by bolt/screw to the side of the tranny near the pan & NSS. The cable itself goes into a "spring-loaded" tensioner mechanism inside the transmission. This is inside the pan, so you'll have to drain/refill the pan & you might as well change the filter while you're in there. It's easy to change this end out, the hard part is getting the pan sealed back good.
I got the TV cable off of a 92 at the junkyard today, thanks for your help on that. There were like 3 zip ties on it holding it to vent hoses and such but it finally came off. There seemed to be a metal thing holding it to the top of the transmission-almost like a metal zip tie, but my 90 doesn't have that, is it okay to just let it rest up there without being zip tied to anything?

I believe with it being attached to "mounts/bracketry" at both ends of the sleeve, there is no real need for the middle of the sleeve to be secured, I would try to lube the cable (if that is possible) though.

jfiscus said:
I believe with it being attached to "mounts/bracketry" at both ends of the sleeve, there is no real need for the middle of the sleeve to be secured, I would try to lube the cable (if that is possible) though.
Alright thanks. Does anyone else who has done this have suggestions for me?

Back