• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A auto with 3.07gears

badron

NAXJA Forum User
Put the Auto tranny 01 Sport back together about 10 days ago. Swap the much fresher motor with the one from the stick 01.
The 3.55 axles with the right carriers were removed from the auto 01 for later use. I replace them with 3.07 axles from the stick 01.
I was a little worry about putting the 3.07s behind the auto but so fare I have seen no problems with the swap. Pickup is down a hair but that's of little concern to me. Tranny is not searching like some have suggested. I don't know how she will do offing. MPG down a hair if any around town but up same hair on the long runs. The E-check may not pass with the 3.07s? But as a DD I wonder way they did not offer the 3.07 with the auto?

the auto has a deeper overdrive, so the top gear RPMs end up about the same with auto/3.55s and stick/3.07s

I think XJs are generally undergeared anyway and you would be happier with 3.55s, 3.73s or even 4.10s. I assume you're on stock size tires....

Back