• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

possible rear fender idea?

tech kid

NAXJA Forum User
i havent gotten my XJ yet (roads were too icy this morning to make the trip to pick her up) but ive been reading about not cutting into the pinch weld on the rear fenders. but if you cut higher then immediately reweld the two pieces together would you be ok? just gonna go for the little lift and big tires thing, i like low center of gravity and its a wheelin only rig, so along with this the rockers will get boatsided some

wes

I accidentally cut higher than the pinches and tried to push them together...it was a pain and I wish I hadnt done it. Body is still trying to come apart despite welds. I have seen some neat pics of 2 dr. xj's that have been kinda tubbed like hot rods.

mines a 4 door, maybe clamp it while cutting to keep it together while doing the cut, then maybe rivet it together in addition to welding? i dunno, its gonna be a trailered rig, so it aint gotta be pretty......just want somethin thatll work, cause i like a low COG

Cutting past the pinch seam is possible but you start running above the stock tub making it more difficult to close the gap. It can be done depending on how clean you want it to look. Then there is the question of unibody strength. Search around in here, there is some serious "cutting" going on!

-Ron

Im planning on chopping a few inches off my rear fenders on my 2dr. Im just closing the gap with scrap strips from the parts XJ. Having a portable sand blaster and a plasma really help w/this. I was worried about the rear window but have been told it should be allright, but I dont count on it. I have spare windows for "when" and have a cage in the plans.
Jeremy

As long as you dont go any farther than the wheel well then you should beable to weld it back up.. I accually just stretched my wheelwells 5 inches torwards the rear, had to cut the wells in half and remove them and weld them back up back and add more metal

got any pics of that xtrmxj? id appreciate it, did you flip the rear springs therefore you had to expand the wheelwell?

sounds like what i figured id have to do

wes

i did just what you want to do.drill the factory spot welds and seperate the panels. cut your quarter to where you want it and do what is neccessary to line the tub up with your new cut. on mine i ended up using a few relief cuts to get the tub to fully contact the new, larger wheel opening. sorry no pics.

You can cut as much as you want, but you will need to add metal to close the gap. The bodyshop that did mine did this, and a shitty job at that... thats whay you get when you take ur Jeep to a friend of a friend, you get a good deal but shitty work. I'm probably going to cut out the shitty work and do it again now that I have gotten a welder since then

I have a 2 door and cut my rear wheels clean out. I then bought a pair of comp engineering 40" wheel tubs. Raised the wheel well up to the first body line and back 3" from the taillights. To hold it together I used 3M panel bond and rivets, then spray seam sealer. It is a very clean look, almost factory...

^^^^^Worthless with out pics Mark! ^^^^^

Pics would be awesome! I am just about to do the same thing to my new project. Has anybody done a comp cut like they do on TJ's yet?

I have trimmed the rear fenders way past were they should have been. The way I did this was to cut 6" out at a time and patch that area, then cut the next 6". This way it held itself together while I modified it, it works well and allows me to cut what I want without worry.

Is this anything like what U R looking for??? http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20050313image0016or6.jpg
One of my 4x4 mags did an article a few years ago about cutting an xj rear fenders and filling the gap with 1/4" steel rod. I actually just found it 2 nights ago. Petersons 4 wheel & off road, july 2002 page 99. Its the one with the green later model bronc jumping in the dunes on the cover.

Last edited:
in the next month or so I should be cutting mine. Im cutting way past the pinch weld and going to cut out the whole inner fender too. I plan on first cutting out the inner fender, then just above where Im going to cut im going to rivet or spot weld a piece of angle iron on the inside of the fender to the outside. Then I will base my inner fender off that angle iron. If that doesnt make much sense, sorry, Ill get pics when I do it

wes

000_0684.jpg

heres the start of mine. after i took this pic i got the rear section of the wheelwell cut out and moved back, theres now a 6" gap between the front and rear portions. gonna try to get some sheetmetal today or tomorrow and start filling in all the gaps, thinkin bout running a piece of 1.5" poop pipe round it and welding the inner and outer fenders to that to add some strength, and just bend it to fit the shape. we will see what i end up deciding to do

wes

img00031_514.jpg

img00025_420.jpg

img00026_171.jpg

img00028_119.jpg

img00030_140.jpg

for some reason my internet is being retarded and i cant go to supermotors to upload my pics. got the drivers side rear fender done. the inner fender i cut in half and relocated about 6.5 inches back. then on the outside i have a piece of 3/4" black poop pipe i bent to match the cut line and welded it in. i have it most of the way welded in, just gotta get the inner fender welded in more, and then get some little pieces of sheetmetal cut to patch the areas the fender bar didnt cut perfect......but it looks real real good to me

wes

Back