• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking clutch master cylinder:need advice

ltkaknm

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

1990 XJ Laredo, Inline 6, 190,000,

It has gotten quite cold here in Salt Lake lately and I have begun to lose fluid from my clutch master cylinder. This actully began last winter but since it did not get too cold for too long I just added in DOT3 fluid when I needed it.

This year it seems to be losing quite a bit more fluid at a more rapid rate. I have never messed with this aspect of the Cherokee and would appreciate any suggestions on how much this might cost to replace, fix myself etc.

As of right now I am just adding in fluid every few days but I do not think this is a good solution and since I rent and do not have a garage it would be hard for me to work on it myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LTK

Check to see if the fluid is leaking under dash or from the front of the bell-housing. If under the dash, it is a defective master cylinder. If out of the bell housing, it's the internal slave cylinder. If you have to replace the slave, that would be a good time to consider replacing the clutch, throwout, etc. I've also had a master cylinder that had a bad valve, thus it couldn't handle pressure, but it wasn't losing fluid.

Back