• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fel-Pro double lip seal (rear main) P/N BS40612?

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
Just ordered this part in last night, the P/N corresponds with both the part in the catalogue and on here for the double lip seal(p/n BS40612). Is this a double lip rear main seal? seems to just have one major sealing area and a small dust lip as well? Is this the part I wanted or is this the regular single-lip one? I have attached an image.
Also before I get started on this, when I am re-torqing the bearing cap which side should I start with first? I understand I should torque 40-70-80ft/lbs in increments, just wondering if it matter which side I start with first? How long should I allow the bolts to "stretch" between torqing? Some people recomend a drop of loc-tite, other's don't mention it. Any insight?

thanks!

seal003.jpg

I also was a little un-impressed when I ordered the double lip. It just didn't seem like it was all that much different than the standard. I had one of each and compared them side by side. I had to special order to the double lip and it was quite expensive (I want to say abotu 30 bucks). So I installed it and took back the standard. If I remember right...I wasn't able to get it from NAPA. I had to order it through Auto Zone.

I did not use Loc Tite on the bearing cap bolts. Doesn't matter what bolt you start with on the re-tightening. I waited enough between torquing sequences to re-adjust the wrench and that was it.

I know I had a thread going to document the fact that the part number for the Fel Pro double lipped seal that was in our FAQ section was incorrect. I supplied the correct number after I got it from AZ. I'll try and find it so you can verify that yours is indeed a double lip. Give me a minute.

-river

great, just what I need :( Just cut open the package too, no way they are going to take this one back.
The fel-pro catalogue didn't list anything but this one, and I read 5-90 listed this part as the double lip seal. It cost me $23 and change canadian. I'm sick of dealing with this. I live in a small town and it usually takes forever to get things through the local parts store. There is no napa, lordco or autozone here. I basically live on an island and need to take a ferry to get to "the big city". I lucked out yesterday and they were just putting an order in so I got the part today.
I think I might just try to install this one. If it looks like the crankshaft is grooved from the old seal I'll order in the double lip rear seal. At the moment i have more time than money, and can't afford to keep ordering parts.
thanks

Back