• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrated? 88 to 91 swap?

muddshutter

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent countless hours on this forum, reading and studying many write-ups and notes on making my MJ REALLY wonderful. I thank everyone for all the past questions and I would be delighted to hear ANY and all input on this subject.

We have removed the 88 4.0L engine from the MJ and i have aquired a Titan 4.6L Stroker from a 91 donor. I have the 91 intake and new exhaust bolted up, new water pump(flowkooler), new alternator, reusing the distributer, but new cap and rotor, new wires, plugs, new cooling system, dual batteries in cab, etc, etc. Removing the AC lines but i will keep it for ease of belt use, for now.

The O2 sensor will go in the exhaust as there is a place for it already.

The water temp sensor has been rerouted to the front with the new mount.

Fuel lines are easy to adapt and i have found threads here on that.

Do i have to cap the knock sensor wire or just tie it up somewhere? I feel like i would not need it as its a stroker and has too much power as it is.

Now the hard part.......Throttle Body......

The old is 3 bolts and the new is four and a different size all together. I have a newer TB and i do not know/understand how to adapt it? There are three sensors on it, what do i do? Any guidence on this or pictures?

Another item that i do not understand, Crankshaft Pos. Sensor? Why can't i use a new 91' flywheel/flex plate?

I am about a week or so away from pulling every last wire out and replacing it with a 91 harness, CAN SOMEONE SAVE ME from this and help me to utalize the Renix system better?

I would flip to see someone do a full write-up on this whole process........

noah

Ps. Its a 88 MJ Shortbed with an ax-15 and Np231 with slip yoke, Tom woods driveshafts F&R, 30 & 44, 35" tires, 4:88's, Alloys, arbs, Arb bullbar, Custom bed, 7"+ TNT lift, JCR rock rails and 1ton steering, frame stiffeners, etc, etc. All of these were added because of great tech writups from this site.......

Use the new TB on the new engine.

You have to use all the Renix Electronics (dist, coil, flywheel, CPS, sensors, etc) to make the renix ignition & fuel injection work correctly "in time". I have been told that you need to switch back to Renix injectors, but I am running 93 injectors still 1 year later. I get around 11 mpg with stock gears and 33s though; I don't know if this is the source of my rich running or something else is. Plenty of power though.

You also need the 91(HO engine) accel & tranny kickdown cables because they route differently to the newer bracket on the intake.

Where did you mount your coolant overflow bottle?

Here is all you need (hopefully!):
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/webejpn01/vpost?id=846923
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/99/09_sept/engswap/engswap.html
40-TPS.jpg

40-wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Back