• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how hard is it to swap gears???

swany

NAXJA Forum User
i was told it is really hard and you need special tools. i was also told that you need to shim things right. it looks to me like it is just a matter of pull the ring gear off and put the new one on with the new pinion gear as well. anybody do there own or do you take it to the shop. i am replaceing my 3.07 in my d35 with 4.10

swany said:
i was told it is really hard and you need special tools. i was also told that you need to shim things right. it looks to me like it is just a matter of pull the ring gear off and put the new one on with the new pinion gear as well. anybody do there own or do you take it to the shop. i am replaceing my 3.07 in my d35 with 4.10
if you're keeping the d35, then just go and find a set of axles from a 2.5L XJ, they will likely have 4.10s. It's much easier to just swap the axles, and if you get an XJ 8.25 from a later model you'l get a great strength upgrade.

Hmmmm..... Sanford, ME..... spent a couple of weeks out there on business a year ago.

Gear installs are persnickety. It's a game of thousandths of an inch. It's not difficult if you have the right tools (press, dial indicator, bridge puller, etc.) but can be time consuming and frustrating.

If you're going to 4.10s, the easiest, and probably cheapest way, is like 87manche says. Go find yourself a pair of axles out of a 2.5l XJ with an auto. These generally have 4.10 gears (VERIFY THIS!!!!) Then it's just a matter of swapping the entire axle assembly instead of just the gears. In spite of the much larger parts, it's an easier and faster swap.

I'm also unclear if you're talking about new or used gears. A bunch of us here won't install used gears. Tom (old_man here) posted up a good bit of info on why used gears are harder to install and get right. Personally, I find that the cost of new vs. used gears is the minor part of the regearing cost.

Its very technical, and hard. And if you don't do it right the first time, then you've just wasted alot of time and money. Do it once! Do it right! I'm having mine done tomorrow by a guy who's knows what he's doing. You can't be pounding bearings on and off in your garage at home with a hammer. Thats dumb.
Plus, not only do you have to buy gears ($150) but you have to buy a $80 overhaul kit and while your in there, inner seals ($10) you might as well change... and you might even need a new carrier too ($75).
And of course you need a locker, so dish out another ($350).
And you gotta have a sick RockCrusher diff cover right?? ($120)
Yea yea, so now you just wanted to regear from 3.55s to 4.10s right?
Well you just sunk $785 into your axle, and you have another one to do!

ChiXJeff said:
If you're going to 4.10s, the easiest, and probably cheapest way, is like 87manche says. Go find yourself a pair of axles out of a 2.5l XJ with an auto. These generally have 4.10 gears (VERIFY THIS!!!!)

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you want a 4 cyl. with MANUAL like mine for 4.10's.
Also look for the factory Tow package, they may have 4.10 gears.
I don't know if they were an option with the Auto.

Look for an XJ, MJ or TJ NONDISCO front 30 with 4.10s, and an XJ rear Dana 44 with 4.10s. These will fit =)
I guess you could do an 8.25 if you only had 31s or was a smart driver with 32s.

Or swap the gears, hook up with somebody capable and spend $500 or spend $1,000 for a shop to do it. Your call.

barillms said:
I guess you could do an 8.25 if you only had 31s or was a smart driver with 32s.

I don't get this statement? The 8.25 is by all means stronger than a D35 and only marginally weaker than a D44 so how does a set of 32's, which by the way I am running, make it the weak leak?

I am not a smart or easy driver and I have yet to break any axle on any vehicle I have ever owned. Including a welded D35 on 31's and my current 8.25 on 32's.

Installing gears is easy if you have patience and a little knowledge on how they are supposed to work.

Back