• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

useful info

a7273chargerguy

NAXJA Forum User
most of you already know this,some might not.your brakes work off a roughly 60-40 to 70-30,that is the front brakes make up 60-70% of your braking power and your rear make up 40-30.a proportioning valve regulates pressure to the rear.it basically measures the height differences between the rear axle and the floorboards.if you are carrying a load,say 2 peeps in the back and some cargo,the prop valve uses the rear brakes more then if you had no passengers and no cargo.because of the 70-30 split this is why you will do 2-3 front brake jobs before the dreaded drum job needs doing.with this being said,you now know that your rear brakes are used in relation to the weight being carried.so what happens if you go up,say 3 inches? not much really.you may notice a little less stopping power.but what happens when the"just a couple more inches"syndrome hits.suddenly 4.5 ain't enough!just remember that little proportioning valve.after about 3 inches this little guy thinks that your rear end has taken the Jenny Craig way out,and that he is'nt really needing to use them rear brakes no more.all of a sudden you will notice a drastic increase in wear on your front pads/rotors.my brake teacher informed me of this and i thought that instead of forking up the 871 dollars a semester for this info,i'll just pass it along in this nifty box.....

oops.....guys sorry for the mis-information................................................................thats 871 dollars PER HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(you thought i was gonna say somethin' else did'nt ya?.....

flht1997 said:
didn't think XJ's had a height sensing proportioning valve, but i may be wrong.

No...you are right.

XJs do not have a height sensing valve. The idea behind what he is saying is that because the sprung weight is higher from the axles, there is greater weight transfer to the front.

Rev

Back