• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown head gasket question!!!!

norcalsnow

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine has a mint condition 94 xj 4.0L he will give me for free due to a blown head gasket. I plan on fixing it by myself but have never done it before. I searched all over this thing and could not find any step by steps on this. Is there any sites anyone could recomend or any pointers anyone could throw my way? Thanks for all the help. p.s. i do have a a manual.

The job is more muscle work than anything else.

If you've got to pull the head, you may as well service the entire top end - manifold gasket (there's only one,) fuel rail, fuel rail quick-connects, throttle body gasket, and the like. Get the "head set," since it will have everything from the head gasket UP in the box.

I've covered this in detail a few times for various subjects - try looking for my posts on it. If you don't find any, PM me - but having a manual (it's not a Haynes, is it?) should tell you everything you really need to know - my additions are merely pointers from experience (having done this a couple of times...)

If you have a Haynes, go buy a Chilton's right now! If you have a Chiltons, start checking ebay for a 1994FSM (yes, I've got one. No, you can't have it...) but there's less of a hurry. The FSM will cover things much more in-depth than Chiltons or Haynes, and if you plan on keeping this for any length of time, you're going to be glad you got it.

Check your manual torque specs against the charts on my site (link in sig,) since mine are all culled from FSMs - I've got Chilton's and Haynes - the Haynes is doing duty to even up that workbench I haven't gotten around to making a new leg for just yet, and the 1994 FSM is twice as thick as the Chiltons - which covers about ten years of XJ. That should tell you the level of detail it covers...

Before you get started, check the head bolt heads for paint marks - if you see any, get new ones! If you think they had paint on them, but it wore off, get new ones! The AMC242 head bolts are good for two torque cycles before they yield, and they're supposed to be painted when removed the first time. Snapping off a head bolt is a royal PITA to fix, believe me (I've had to do it for a couple of other people...)

5-90

Back