• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case won't stay in 4Lo

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
After I lifted my Cherokee, 3.5 RE, my T-case will not stay in 4LO. I can get it to go in and can drive it in 4LO until I put a load on and then off of the drivetrain, then it will pop out of 4LO and go into N. I have also had it come out of gear just enough that only the rear wheels were getting power. I have tryed adjusting the linkage, but this didn't work. When I adjusted the linkage I had to force it into gear and then hold it there while I adjusted the linkage. If I didn't hold it there it would just pop right out. what is going on???

Semper Fi said:
After I lifted my Cherokee, 3.5 RE, my T-case will not stay in 4LO. I can get it to go in and can drive it in 4LO until I put a load on and then off of the drivetrain, then it will pop out of 4LO and go into N. I have also had it come out of gear just enough that only the rear wheels were getting power. I have tryed adjusting the linkage, but this didn't work. When I adjusted the linkage I had to force it into gear and then hold it there while I adjusted the linkage. If I didn't hold it there it would just pop right out. what is going on???
Did you lower your t-case?

I would also recommend looking at the actual linkage connections under the Xj. The bushings/retainers on the linkage arms wear and allow the assembly to flex. A quick inspection will tell ya if the parts are worn.
Also if you have dropped the tcase it is possible that the metal bracket of the T-case shifter will not allow the shift arm to actually go far enough to the rear to pull the T-case all the way into 4 low.

Just a couple thoughts.

I had a t-case drop on it when I had a rough country lift on the jeep. When I stepped up to the RE 3.5 lift I replaced the t-case drop with an SYE kit and new driveshafts. The linkage under the jeep is what I tryed to adjust. When the t-case drop was on 4LO worked fine, after the SYE kit and lift was put on, that is when it started giving me trouble staying in gear.

Semper Fi said:
I had a t-case drop on it when I had a rough country lift on the jeep. When I stepped up to the RE 3.5 lift I replaced the t-case drop with an SYE kit and new driveshafts. The linkage under the jeep is what I tryed to adjust. When the t-case drop was on 4LO worked fine, after the SYE kit and lift was put on, that is when it started giving me trouble staying in gear.
That sounds like the opposite of what should be happening. In that case, just try adjusting it again like you're doing. If that doesn't work it could be the pads inside like someone said. Might be time to open it up...

Did your T-case drop happen to have a linkage relocation bracket? If so, take it out.

If not, maybe the extra angle on the linkage wore out the bushings?

What SYE kit did you install?

the sye is an Advanced Adapters SYE, and the drop that I had on there before was one that I made myself and did not have any relocation brackets on it.

If thats the case then maybe you didnt shorten the shift rod enough and its bottoming out before becoming fully engaged?

I had it installed for me, I will have to have it looked at and see if that is what is wrong. I guess that means I will have to have it removed from the Jeep

Might want to check that your motor and tranny mounts are in good shape too. If they are floppy, excessive movement might be causing a problem too.

I finally got my jeep to stay in 4LO. I had to take it to a shop and have them bend the linkage rod straight, and they also bent the bracket that holds the linkage. He told me that when you lift some XJ's it tends to twist the linkage a little and then it hits a bolt that holds it in place stopping the t-case from going into 4LO. This is something that you might never have to do, but when you can't put it in 4LO on the trail, and everyone else is, you burn up your brakes pretty quick!

Back