• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys 4.5" lift kit (not the normal questions)

tgile512

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have a 99 xj and i just finished installing the 4.5 rustys kit. now i ordered everything that comes in the standard 4.5" kit, but i replaced the 4.5" leaf packs with the 3.5" ones and got a 1.50" shackle. I thought that this would make it sit more level, for i saw many rustys kit with the back wayy too high. so i have it all done, except i haven't put the shackles in yet, so i only have the 3.5" spring packs in, and it looks great. The back is barely taller than the front so it gives it a much more level look. Now i am wondering, can i just keep it like this or should i just put the shackles in. will the packs settle too much to the point that the back is actually lower than the front?

The back will settle in a bit but I had more issue with my coils sagging. They are Rustys too. I actually like my 3" leaves though. The shackle will probably make it flex a lot better. It's not that much work. If it were me...I'd throw the shackles on and if need be, get a coil spacer.

yea thats what i am gonna do this weekend probably. but i am really impressed with this kit. before i had their bb with aal, which rode horribly. it feels much more safe and rides alot better. have you talked to rusty about the springs? i am sure he will replace them for you

I run the complete Rusty's 4.5" including the 4.5" leafs. I ended up spacing with 1.75" spacers in front and still needed the stock isolators to level it out. I have been running the kit for several months and several runs that I flexed the heck out of it and the leafs or coils have NOT settled at all. However, I have a friend that got his 3.5" leafs and they are exactly 3.5" of lift. So, I guess if it were me, I would run it this way until you have had a chance to flex it out, if they settle, Shackle it, if they dont, leave it.

From what I gather, every lift and every XJ has a mind of its own.

Good Luck

Oh, P.S. on my last post. If your unhappy, call them and speak to either Zac or Rusty. I have had a few minor issues with things and they have ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS given me 100% customer service. As far as I am concerned he is a stand up guy that will do everything he can for you to make things right. I hope this doesnt turn into a bash posting, becouse there is good and bad with EVERY lift kit.

But if your unhappy, CALL HIM, be honest and he will be stand up.

Good luck

You KNOW this will turn into a bashing thread. I have been extremely happy with Rusty and his products. He was a HUGE help b/c his was the first lift I ever bought. Super nice guy. I always heard (and he even admitted) bad things about his older leaf packs. I have been super happy with the leaves. I've probably had the lift on for 2 years now. I honestly don't even wheel it so I was a bit surprised at how much they settled. Maybe I'll call him and quiz him on it. I just hate to do it b/c it HAS been 2 years. I'm home sick tomorrow though so maybe I'll call.

i would give it a try, i mean you have nothing to loose. Rusty is really a great guy, i have called many many times asking about his products and he has always been very helpful. Every time he says that if i have a problem with anything feel free to call and he will sort it all out.

Yeah.. I have his 4.5" kit w/ the full leaf packs. I'm going to be doing spacers and shackles within the next few weeks and will probably see what I can do to level it a tiny bit. The rears haven't broken in at all, but the coils have. I'm thinking that I will be doing a 2" spacer with 1.5" shackles. I don't mind it as it sits, and it's nice that it doesn't ass-drag with people in the back. It sits pretty level if anyone is back there or if its loaded up with anything at all. It does flex alright just from posing around with it, but I haven't gotten a chance to go wheel it and actually work on breaking them in.

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

Jeep looks good Caz. BTW, Whats all that white stuff on the ground?????
Just kidding.
I am having a bit of a problem running his track Bar but I talked to himyesterday, explained the problem. He asked for some measurements, which I promptly gave. He called me back today and said he was making me a custom track bar to match up what I got out of his lift to correct the short track bar problem as well as the end link and the angle of it. For some reason my TB angle is not even close to the drag link. But once again, Call and talk to him. I DO wheel the crap out of my stuff, every chance I get and other than the track bar, (no surprise) it works AWSOME. I will post up when I get my new TB from him to let all know how it works.

If I don't feel like poop tomorrow I'll call Rusty. I'll post the results.

Rig looks real nice Caz.

Yep! Thanks man! More white stuff actually coming as we speak. We're supposed to get several more inches over the next couple of days. :)

But yeah, Rusty is a great guy and has provided excellent customer service and technical support for me. The only complaint I have is my stinking adjustable lower control arms. I didn't get the jambnuts, and probably won't. But assuming you get the adjustable LCA's, be prepared for the noise. They clunk pretty loud but you kind of get used to them. Any bump at a decent speed makes a pretty audible clunk. When I first got them I was a little bit shocked... It sounded as if something was about to blast through my floorboard... lol. He said the jambnuts would quiet them down a lot if I wanted to go through the trouble but from what he can tell, most people just kind of deal with it. He said greasing them with every/every-other oil change will also help a bit. :)

Same problem on the adjustable uppers. Same response from Rusty on those also. I just deal with it. My rig outflexes alot of rigs with way mo dollor in there suspension.

Caz, send some snow this way to the desert, might be kinda fun for a change.

:cheers:

I have the 4.5" spring pack kit/2 inch bb and have no complaints. It has been on the heep for a year now with very little sag. I also experienced the customer service described above. Thinking back, the Track Bar was a B@#$ to put on. . . I busted a hole in the drywall in my buddy's shop trying to get leverage to get it connected :). A heavy duty mount bracket is on the shopping list.

Back