• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MANUAL TRANS. RADIATOR QUESTION

xjhd4me

NAXJA Forum User
a have a 97 4.0 5 spd. today i got on it really hard for the first time then when i stopped i noticed it was leaking some antifreeze looks like it came out of a possile steel overflow tube? on the bottom of the drivers side is it supposed to do this if it's under extreme pressure so it doesn't blow a hose or something? after the little leak i left it running for a good twenty minutes and didn't see anything else, but now i'm worried

That tube is for the trans cooler......only for automatics, that's why it isn't hooked up. It isn't an overflow tube. Your radiator is probably leaking and it just appears like it's coming from there. Or your radiator is leaking into the trans cooler portion of the radiator.......either way I'm betting on a leaking radiator!

I have the same Jeep. 97, 4.0 5spd. I floored it going over some railroad tracks and the engine hit the radiator and found out one quick way to empty the antifreeze. Motor mounts and the transmission mounts were both weak allowing the fan to hit the radiator. I didnt think to check the mounts and it happened soon again. I took the radiator to a shop and had it repaired instead of buying a new one, and replaced all the engine and tranny mounts. If its not that, I would check all hose fittings..hope that helps.

well i looked at everything, and it looks fine hasn't lost a drop since that one time my guess is that since i got on it so hard the overflow jug dumped some of the fluid and dripped it's way to the ground when i stoppped i checked it at every place i stopped yesterday both before i went in and after i came out no leaks, so i guess it was the jug, well at least i hope so anyway

Back