• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear buckets

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm cutting off the rear of the roof tomorrow, and I'd like to go with rear buckets if possible. I'm going with suspension seats and harnesses in the front and I'd like to do the same in the rear. The rear is for 3 kids only, so does anyone know where I can get some narrow seats? The narrowest ones so far are corbeau classics at 18.5" wide.

Anyone know the width of the rear seat area? Need to get 3 seats in there. Either that or can I run harnesses on the stock bench??

The plan is to run uprights at the corners of the bench with a cross bar for the harnesses like the front.

I know mastercraft (or maybe its one of the other seat companies) offers child size seats. And I believe in more than one size. And I'm sure they're not the only one. Also someone makes a suspension type bech seat that I was just thinking about how to put in the back of an xj. I don't really want it, just thinking...

Also, one of the primedia off road mags just ran an article about something with 3 kids seats in the back. I can't remember which magazine and I know it wasn't an XJ, but it might give you some ideas.

not sure about where or what to get, but had you thought of staggering the seats. 2 forward and one a little further back with feet in between the other 2.
would look kinda cool, and perhaps provide the room needed.

beakie said:
not sure about where or what to get, but had you thought of staggering the seats. 2 forward and one a little further back with feet in between the other 2.
would look kinda cool, and perhaps provide the room needed.

Ya I was thinking about that but I'm cutting the rear off and moving the hatch up so there won't be room to move the center one back any.

I took my stock fronts and put them in the rear when I chopped it. It is tight back there. you'll be hard pressed to get 3 buckets in the back. A bench may be the solution, but it's still tight. Make the seat mounting off the cage, (You did put in a cage, right?) at the same time. i spent a lot of time fab'ing up a mounting scheme, just to come back later and rip it all out to tie the rears into the cage floor bars. Might just as well have done it all at once.

Well it looks like I'll have about 18" to play with per seat. I'm going to finish the exo and tie that into the interior then mount the buckets. Prob have to "modify" them some then have them recovered to match the truck. I'll get pics up when there done.

PRP has the children's seats that accept a harness. They have one that is for children 1-4 (or 5) years old and one that is for 5 (or 6) to 14 years old. I am about to order the latter for my six year old. I am planning on mounting it in the center of the rear. My other child is only about 2 months old and it will be a while before he can accompany me on the trail.

Try this.

level3_SuperSeries_SuperKid.jpg

yeah that was the question whatcha gonna do when the kids are too big, but not big enough for their own rig?
Its too bad you couldn't stagger the seats.

gregmondro said:
why not just get regular sized seats?

the kids won't be kids forever.

Thats my thought, my oldest is 11 and is nearly the size of my wife. I'm looking at getting some of those import race seats, narrowing them the needed amount then covering them with new mat. to match the interior.

Also thinking about leaving the bench and mounting 3 seperate headreasts on the roll cage with the harnesses mounted under them. That way it keeps there mellons out of the back window.

This tread struck a pretty big idea for me and maybe the street/wheeling XJ community.

Everyone loves music and some like it more and better. What about getting two stock seats and install them identical to the front except moved slightly back to allow more leg room. Then for those that like some bump in their music can install a sub woofer between the two in a nice sized box. Hell you could probally add another center consol and cup holders. Sure you jeep will only be able to hold four instead of five, but if comfort is your thing, youll have it. And you can probally make it where the seats can be removed and reinstall the bench.

Just some food for though.

Back