• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift and driveshafts

swany

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 4.5" lift and am addin 2" spacers and blocks. can i use my stock drive shaft or will it be too short? i dont have the money for a drive shaft but want to put my spacers and blocks in.

Why are you going with blocks in the rear, that will kill the life of your spring packs, go with a longer shackle or AAL. But yes, you will most likly need a new diveshaft and probly a sye too if yours is the early model XJ then your better off, but ur still probly gona need a ds and sye

what's with everyone doing blocks on the rear lately? don't. your springs are too soft. blocks are fine for ford trucks and other trucks with higher spring rated leafs. as for another 2 inches on top of your 4.5, very likely your driveshaft won't be long enough. 4.5 inches is about the highest you can go without any problems.

free will cost you when you have to replace the springs. But it is your rig do as you wish

cstilesiscool said:
what's with everyone doing blocks on the rear lately? don't. your springs are too soft. blocks are fine for ford trucks and other trucks with higher spring rated leafs. as for another 2 inches on top of your 4.5, very likely your driveshaft won't be long enough. 4.5 inches is about the highest you can go without any problems.

I ran at 5.5" with my stock driveshaft and a YJ yoke with no problems. At 6.5" I had vibes at 30, 45 and 60 until I installed an SYE.

-C

I see you have an '87. I'm pretty sure he has a 94 or newer rig. Older ones can go higher without driveshaft problems than the newer ones. That's what I meant. There are always an exemption to that rule though.

cstilesiscool said:
I see you have an '87. I'm pretty sure he has a 94 or newer rig. Older ones can go higher without driveshaft problems than the newer ones. That's what I meant. There are always an exemption to that rule though.

You didn't say that now did you. ;)

Yeah, Chrysler deleting the internally lubricated slipyoke was a big downfall in the later models.

Back