• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy long arm flex and front driveshaft

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
What up?

So I've done some searching and couldnt really find what I am looking for. I will be installing my Rock Krawler long arm kit within the next month or so. I will be running 5.5" RE coils and a 1" spacer. (right now im rockin a 4.5" RE lift) Anyway, some of the flexing I've seen these these long arms do is just amazing and was curious if the stock front driveshaft will be sufficient or if I will have to make one up that is a little longer?

As I am putting it together I will cycle the suspension without the springs and see how far it goes. I'm sure at some point there will be a bind, and I want the axle to stop before bind occurs.

So if anyone could tell me what they are running that would be fantabulous.

RalphXJ said:
I'm running the RK kit, I run limiting straps on mine. Without a strap, the shocks will limit the flex before the driveshaft has much trouble!
yeah what he said :) run a strap unless you like destroying shocks by overextending them. also i've seen coils unseat without straps on long arm rigs.

I dont have any good pictures (and they are currently removed to prepare for installing coilovers). Basicly what I did was bolted them to the thicker metal around the shock mount, and reenforece the area with an extra piece of 3/16 steel.

I then bolted them to the brace I have running from the knuckle to the coil bucket on my D44.

Here is a picture where you can see where the lower part mounts.
bracket1.jpg

Can't really see much in this one, but here is the passanger side:
bracket2.jpg

The track bar bolted to the flat piece below the coil spring, but I had to change that mount for my high-steer.

I run an eight inch slip front shaft (Tom Woods). I also use limiting straps, but that's to keep the springs in not to limit drive shaft slip. Shocks are 14 inch travel fronts.
couldn't find a small pic right quick.

What, like this? :D

unseat.jpg

Holy Crap batman. I'm gonna be doin that soon. Are you running a stock driveshaft with that? Does it have enough slip in it? Has the driveshaft came apart? Which parts place sells the twine used to hold up your sway bar? Just kidding.

What length front shocks are you running?
I have 6.5" RockKrawler coils, 32" long arms? with 5" center bumpstops.
Still in process of installing everything.

I just bought two Pro Comp shocks for $29 each - they measure 30.5" extended and 17.4" collapsed.

The longest Skyjacker Hyrdo $25 shock they make for the 6-8" lift is only
28.75" extended and 16.5" collapsed.

Does the Pro Comp shock I bought seem like it will work?

Slip yoke travel usually isnt an issue with radius arms,but driveshaft binding is!

green50gt said:
Holy Crap batman. I'm gonna be doin that soon. Are you running a stock driveshaft with that? Does it have enough slip in it? Has the driveshaft came apart? Which parts place sells the twine used to hold up your sway bar? Just kidding.

Nope. Tom Woods CV Conversion. Stock front DS though...

Believe it or not, that's 4 wheel parts super twine. It can hold up to 2000 lbs, and is flame resistant, it's really cool. :laugh3:

Nah, I didn't have anything else to hold them up. Eventually I got sick of doing it, that I just removed the entire sway bar. SO much better.

barillms said:
LMAO, YOU WHEEL WITH EXPLORERS. An Explorer couldn't get through our parking lot.

TELL me about it. I've had to pull his bootay out twice....

Observe: First time -
once.jpg

Second time -
stuck_1.jpg

tow_1.jpg

And then I had to pull my other buddy out too.

twice.jpg

I am running a stock front driveshaft and I've had to get out and put my driverside front spring back in. Never lost my passenger side one though. This is with 5.5" RE coils and 1 inch spacer.

Back