• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easiest way to do a wheel alignment

saweddoffjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so im in need of a major wheel alignment and the shops around here are charging up to $80 for a wheel alignment!:shocked:
would it be easier to do it myself? and if so any tips on how to do it properly?

Set the toe in and inspect your front suspension components and CA bushings for wear and excessive play. Doing an alignment on these is not really hard.

If something in your front end is worn out, Sears or any other alignment shop is going to want to replace that part before they do the alignment anyway.

In the US you can get a lifetime (read as: as long as you own the vehicle) alignment at Firestone Stores. As I remember it cost me abot $140. Now I take the XJ in twice a year and have it aligned at no further cost. Of course they always try to upsell me on other stuff...last time I had it aligned they said I desperately needed $520 in maintenence...tune up, tranny flush, radiator flush, even a brake fluid flush. Yeah, right. I think someone deperately needed to make a boat payment. So if you can resist the sales con, you can get an alignment for the life of your Jeep, pretty cheap over the long run.

nice plug... book was written by a NAXJA member!

Sand-Dog said:
In the US you can get a lifetime (read as: as long as you own the vehicle) alignment at Firestone Stores. As I remember it cost me abot $140. Now I take the XJ in twice a year and have it aligned at no further cost. Of course they always try to upsell me on other stuff...last time I had it aligned they said I desperately needed $520 in maintenence...tune up, tranny flush, radiator flush, even a brake fluid flush. Yeah, right. I think someone deperately needed to make a boat payment. So if you can resist the sales con, you can get an alignment for the life of your Jeep, pretty cheap over the long run.
amen

there are only a couple out here that'll touch lifted vehicles however, but if you can find one that does good work, I'd recommend Firestone also.

question about Firestone... do they usually honor the lifetime alignment, even if you go from stock tires to larger (31") tires? I didn't think they would, but now I'm curious.

yeah, I've got their number on speed dial... *sigh*

my XJ is still stock, and has Bridgestone tires on it, that I got from the local Firestone shop. gonna have 31" Bighorns under it at the end of the month, though. will do the basic alignment when the lift goes under it, but would like to have a professional alignment done. :)

Back