• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this an LSD tag?

Chadd

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question. I picked up a 97 country last week and am getting ready to go through it, change fluids etc.

Anyway it doesn't have the towing package or anything so I didn't expect it to have an LSD but I was looking it over and noticed a tag on the rear diff cover that appears to me to be an LSD tag. Can anyone confirm this for me from this picture? The only reason I ask is because I am going to pick up my supplies tomorrow and would like to have the friction additive if I need it.

The full size image can be seen here

Thanks,
Chadd

72917482.jpg

I'd say it looks like an LSD tag - but I've got Danas, and that's a ChryCo.

Why not try cleaning it and see if you can read it? It may be just a ratio tag, I've just not seen the ChryCo tags to be sure...

An LSD tag will have something like "Use Limited Slip Lubricant Only" on it...

5-90

On a 97 it should have a sticker in the glove box informing whoever should look in there that it has a LSD. JIM.

I don't know about MOPAR, but on diff tags, Ford puts an L in the gear stamping on the tag to indicate and LSD carrier as follows:

3L25 = 3.25 LSD
3 25 = 3.25 open

Wire brush that tag and check it out. My XJ 44 had an open diff so I don't have any other info.

The Ford Motorcraft "Friction Modifier Addative" (posi fluid) is the best. Even my buddy who is into Pontiacs and hates Fords uses it in his GM time bomb axles.

I was originally a Ford guy before my Cherokee, so please don't take my response as an insult, hardcore Jeep guys. My Cherokee is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Ted

Last edited:
Ted Young said:
My Cherokee is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Ted

i like the way some people think

The metal tag says 0427. I checked it tonight and it is definately an open diff though. Not sure what that tag means.

Chadd said:
Quick question. I picked up a 97 country last week and am getting ready to go through it, change fluids etc.

Anyway it doesn't have the towing package or anything so I didn't expect it to have an LSD but I was looking it over and noticed a tag on the rear diff cover that appears to me to be an LSD tag. Can anyone confirm this for me from this picture? The only reason I ask is because I am going to pick up my supplies tomorrow and would like to have the friction additive if I need it.

The full size image can be seen here

Thanks,
Chadd

72917482.jpg

Jack the rear up so both wheels are off the ground. Turn one wheel forward. If they both move forward, its a limited slip. If the other moves backwards, its open.

-Ted

If you didn't buy the Cherokee new the tag don't mean a thing. Spin the wheels or pull the cover. She may have been worked on and changed over. As for tags my X-wifes XJ was improperly tagged from the factory.

Speed_racer said:
Ive always noticed th gear tags are bolted in b/w 2 bolts, while the lsd tags are only on one bolt and hang out from the pumpkin.

Or mine - which doesn't even have the tag, but has LSD. Granted, the tag could've disappeared at some point during previous ownership, but I didn't see any evidence of it having been in place the first time I changed the diff oil out.

casm said:
Or mine - which doesn't even have the tag, but has LSD. Granted, the tag could've disappeared at some point during previous ownership, but I didn't see any evidence of it having been in place the first time I changed the diff oil out.
The factory wouldnt have "forgotten" about the tag.

Chances are it was never reinstalled after a fluid change.

Speed_racer said:
The factory wouldnt have "forgotten" about the tag.

Possibly. However, given that I've got the tow package on the option sheet but a factory tranny cooler and aftermarket receiver and wiring installed, I'm open to the idea that not everything necessarily goes according to plan during build.

Chances are it was never reinstalled after a fluid change.

Also likely, but there are no marks to indicate that it had ever been there. On my prior XJ the tag was in place, and had left a fairly noticeable clean mark around the bolt holding it in.

my 99 8.25 had a tag/sticker all the way over by the passenger end of the rear axle. It will clearly say the gear ratio and whether its LSD.

On a 97 it should have a sticker in the glove box informing whoever should look in there that it has a LSD. JIM.

True! On a 97' or newer, there will be a silver sticker with red writing stating that the vehicle is equipped with a locking differential. But for piece of mind, jack that bitch up and turn the wheels and make sure they turn the same direction.

Back