• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"FRONT END MAKING CLACK NOISE"

XJBeacher

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I just bought a 1992 jeep cherokee and have replaced the draglink, tie rod and all tie rods ends along with the steering stablizer. And i still have a metal "CLACK-clack" noise that comes from the front end when backing out of the driveway with the wheels turned to the side. I also tightend the lower control arms and still have the noise. what could this be?

Check the Trackbar and axle U-joints.
Have someone turn the wheels back and fourth and look and listen at all joints in the front end.
Is your Jeep lifted? specs?

I bought it with a 3" ProComp Lift, and just added the rustys tie rod conversion. But it was making the noise even before the tie rod conversion. When parked turning the wheels from side to side will not make the noise unless you drive forward or backwards and turn the wheel.

sounds like ball joints. Mine have been doing it for a while now, i know to change them, but im saving for the money to buy real good ones rather than the cheapos so i dont have to do it again.

OKAY... i tryed to check if there was play in the ujoint with the truck jacked up, no play. I also tryed to move the wheel hub up and down and no real play in the ball joint either. Maybe there has to be a whole lot more pressure but i dunno. I did figure out that if i drive forward and slam on the breaks it with the the Clunck-clunck noise. also if im doing a sharp radius turn it will do the same but only if there is a some type of bump. And very rairly i can just simply turn the steering form one side completely to the other side and it will make it, but only some times. Another thing is if i drive backwards and do a sudden stop it will cunk-ckunk just not as loud as if i drive forward.
I bought all four tie rod ends, but before i install them does any one think it can be somthing else?

maybe upper control arms? there still the original ones...
lowers are some what newer procomp arms with the poly bushings.

track bar? will this make that much noise?

can it be somthing internal inside my dana 35? axels? or gears?

**also the noise will only come from one side or another when turning and both when you do a sudden stop.

That really sounds like a track bar to me, and YES it will make a lot of noise.
Check both joints and make sure the frame brace is tight.

I had a similar noise with my first track bar. It was a VERY SH#$TY Rough Country unit, and the tie rod end would wear out about every month causing the clank clank noise.

I switched it out for a Rusty's HD and have had no problems since. Of course now I'm worried about it because of all the horror stories about their TBs. I'm in the process of doing OTK steering, so I will be making my own TB to get rid of the Rusty's. (even though I've never had a problem with it).

Do you still have a stock Track bar? Relocation bracket? If so, get a nice adjustable one.

As I suggested earlier, have someone turn the wheels back and fourth and watch. When mine was going bad it would move up and down at the TRE. Check the axle side too, the mount is known to "egg out" causing unwanted play in the joint.

As far as checking ball joints, it does require some force (pry-bar).

Hub movement can be detected by hand by gripping the top and bottom of the tire and wiggling. Hubs usually don't really pop though (unless ridiculously bad!).

Last edited:
Back