• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horsepower: Chip or Programmer

MisfitXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So i've been on a quest to get max hp/torque from day 1. My '98 classic currently runs a K&N filter charger (w/ 6x9 filter), RE 62mm throttle body, rustys 2" throttle body spacer, high flow cat, and flowmaster 50 series exhaust. I make a pretty decent amount of hp and my torque is plenty to spin 31's, but... i still want more.

I've finally decided that the next step is either a JET stage 2 performance chip, or a Hypertech 3 power programmer. Both solid aftermarket performance parts, both very reasonably priced (hypertech is $100 more). I've found a few dyno sheets for the JET chip online, averaging about 10hp at the rear wheels. Not too shabby. But, i have yet to find ANYTHING in terms of numbers for the programmer. I cannot run both at the same time, because they would COMPLETELY screw up the computer.

I'm leaning more toward the programmer for two reasons. 1- in minutes i can program my computer for maximum power while on the trail, but at the end of the day, i can revert back to maximum gas mileage settings for the drive home. And 2- if any of my buddies (or anyone else i meet on the trail) has a 97+ XJ, im more than willing to tune them up for a few bucks on the spot.

GIVE ME FEEDBACK, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I think a chip is the worst hp per dollar mod you can do.

Anyway you can't program your friends vehicles without deleting the performance parameters and going back to stock on yours.

I once considered a chip as my next mod but I didn't get one and I spent that money on headers.

I'm glad I did.

The better/best headers have long tubes and come with thier own downpipe. (like Pacesetter, Borla etc.)

Forget about the JET Stage 2 chip. I've had it for years but it did almost nothing for me. Keep the stock computer programming.
If you're looking for a serious HP/TQ gain, think about either bolting on a supercharger/turbo kit or building a stroker. Any other external bolt-ons you do now will only be chicken feed.
small.A9DFB5LA1GZW2.jpg
small.A9DFB5LA1GZW3.jpg

Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks
205rwhp@4500rpm, 250rwlbft@3500-4000rpm on Dastek load dyno
Torque gets ya movin', horsepower gets ya groovin'

Dino has it right. A chip will do absolutly nothing. I have heard of issues with the Jet chip limiting the RPM as well. Dino can chime in on this as he knows first hand. If you want a decient chip, check out the programer that Hesco sells. Its expensive but probably works better than the other crap available. If you want something that you will really feel performance wise, get a header, get a cam just not Crane since they suck, or build a stroker. Dont get a Crane cam as they suck balls and WILL blow up. I went through 2 Crane cams and the second time took out the motor.

AARON

thanks guys, all that advise sounds helpful, and heads are a definite possibility now. i was thinking of putting a Voodoo cam in there. i've read about an earlier XJ swapping one it and getting up to 12 horse! that and a header should definitely gimme what im looking for

Back