• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey guys! help me out please!

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
I just went on the auto trader and found a 6 cyl. 5-speed for sale, and Ive never really seen these out there before? Are there transmissions any good? Because Ive always seen 4 cyl. typically have a 5-speed tranny. So im wondering why their production was so limited? Any of u Jeep experts know why there isnt that many around? Thank in advance for the help!:read:

NAXJA Rules!!!

Dude they're pretty common. Not as much as auto's but easy to find. Depends on what year it is if it's any good. AX-15 is the good manual tranny. Earlier models had Peugot trannies that sucked?

Relative to the automatics they're not common, in part because the automatics are so good, and in part because....well, people prefer automatics these days. The AX 15 (Aisin Warner, same as the auto) is pretty good. Not the greatest box ever made, a little truckish especially when its cold, but quite robust and will go many many miles if treated well. They're fussy about what oil you put in them, but with the right oil they'll go forever. The Peugeot BA10 found in earlier 4.0's (I think through 89 but may be mistaken) has a bad rep, because it's not as tough, and the clutch slave mechanism is a monstrosity that should have made even the eccentric engineers at Peugeot blush, but I've seen some of them go a very long time too. I think the last year or so they replaced the AX15 with another 5-speed, but I don't remember what it was, and it's pretty rare.

One other reason why the 5-speeds aren't too common may be that the axle ratios are quite tall, meaning that wheeling a stock one on anything worse than dirt roads you will find it advisable to go into low range. In addition, despite the leggy axle ratios, the gas mileage is often no better. Finally, of course, they're not the rig of choice for heavy towing.

That's no deterrent for some of us. I have two, a 95 and a 99.

Yeah I thought they werent too common because I did a search for 98+ vehicles with the same specs and only found 20 Nationwide for sale. The guy is selling it for 5900 but I bluebooked it for 4600 so Ill see how far I could talk him down.:yap:

Back