• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel leak/fuel in oil--stuck injector?

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed my jeep seems to have a slight fuel leak coming from the engine area, looks like a small amount of fuel drips onto the driveway when parked. Evidently I can't tell if it's leaking while I'm driving, but after hosing the gas off my driveway it seems to have re-appeared while sitting, which leads me to believe it's slowly dripping even while parked. Would a leaky o-ring or toasted injector leak even though the engine is not running?

As soon as I noticed the leak I also smelled the oil on the dipstick and noticed it smelled slightly of fuel(I might just be paranoid though--I should really drop some oil and smell it instead of just checking the few drops on the dipstick). I'm guessing this is an injector stuck open leaking fuel into a cylinder and slowly mixing with the oil?

What course of action should I take? I know I shouldn't drive it if there is gas in the oil, can I remove the injectors and clean them if they are stuck open providing they aren't leaking? How will I tell which one is stuck open? I am really short on cash right now and a huge costly repair is something I just can't afford at the moment...will a good fuel injector cleaner unstick an injector that is stuck open?

just checked for leaks while it's running, didn't find any. I think the leak is actually a combination of my leaky rear main, and the o-ring around the oil drain plug leaking like a seive, and the small amount of gas in my oil is giving it a bit of a smell, because try as I might I just can't find a fuel leak anywhere..but of course, theres a couple oil leaks. So, that answer's that problem.

BUT I'm still worried about the possible gas smell in my oil, and I'd also like to know for the sake of knowing..

Is there an (easy) way to test for an injector that is stuck OPEN?
Will it just drip fuel as soon as I pull it if it IS stuck open? That makes sense to me, but I'm not sure as I'm pretty new to FI diagnosing?

If I had to worry about one stuck closed, I would pull each injector systematically and do a driveway flow-test by placing the injector in a glass beaker or something and running the engine, which would at least give me a bit of a visual test, so I guess what I'm asking is if there is an easy way to do a similiar driveway test for one stuck open.

thanks!

Last edited:
If you have a timing light, you can stick the plug wire clip on each injector wire and crank the engine over (I'd reccomend doing it with the coil wire removed so the engine doesn't start). Start with the #1 injector, and work your way back. The light should blink intermintantly on a normal functioning injector. If you have one that is stuck open, the light will stay on continuously.

You could also yank the rail with the injectors attatched, disconnect the coil wire, and crank the engine and see if you have a constant flow out of just one injector..

See if that helps and let me know what happend.

checked the injectors by "listening" to them with a screwdriver, they all seem to "tick" at the same speed. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but should I get one to check for a leak or is it safe to say that assuming the injectors are operating properly that I wouldn't have a fuel pressure leak?
I'm going to drain my oil and check for gas in a few minutes..
thanks

I've had injectors leak right where the electrical connection meets the body of the injector before, filling up the connection valley with gas. You should be able to see vapors emiting from them with the engine running if they are leaking...

How has your gas mileage been effected since you started noticing this problem?

You can hook a tire pressure gauge directly to the fuel rail, you don't need a fuel pressure gauge. There's a fitting that resembles a valve stem on the fuel rail. Just be prepared to have a little gas stream out of the gauge when you pull it off. Try it on a cold engine.

yeah I inspected the injectors while running, they are definately not leaking from the o-rings or the injectors themselves. No gas leaks whatsoever apperantly--I musta been on crack.

I drained the oil, put in a new filter and 5.7l of pennzoil 10w30 earlier this afternoon. When I drained the old oil, it didn't look unusual and I believe the slight fuel smell could have just been my mind being paranoid--the oil was definately BLACK and had been in there for a long while..I have no idea what the previous owner did in terms of maintenance, I bought it from the local GM dealer and they got it on trade-in. All I know is it was a one owner, local car which explains the low milage for the year--just broke 100k recently.

I have only had the jeep for a few weeks and havn't put many miles on it yet. Mileage hasn't been spectaculor considering it has stock all-season tires (P205 70r15's), but then and again it's been all in-town driving with around 50km's of 4WD-a mix of 4high and 4low. I have only just run a full tank through and for around a full tank I seem to have got around 380km (sorry, I'm in canada). I guess now that I think about it, considering it has been ALL in town driving and 4WD use, that isn't really too bad.

That's about 11.8 mpg if you did a full tank of gas and stuff.....

That's quite low for such small tires. I believe you are below stock size, too. Stock is p215....

What year do you have?

yikes, that does seem really low. it is a 1990 laredo, aw4

I cleaned my throttle body earlier today but...there was nothing to clean really. it was pretty much squeeky clean except a little crud built up below the butterfly valve(or whatever it's called), I estimate the buildup on the TB was no more than a half millimetre of sticky tar like stuff. Cleaned it up but it anyways but I couldn't see that small amount of crap causing low mileage like that.

I do have a crack/hole in my muffler, but the manifold is fine(no leaks, no cracks etc). The cat under there looks relatively new, so I doubt it is clogged up.
I should also note that this wasn't a completely full tank right down to the empty line, so really my estimates don't mean too much. I figure it was around from the full mark to just above the empty line, but I didn't fill it to the brim and I didn't run it down to the point where the buzzer came on.

OK this might help this thread but i didnt want to start a new one and get flamed. My injector leaks whenever you turn the key. It starts leaking out of the bottom where it goes into the intake? im pretty sure. Its a 90 and its been getting horrid gas mileage, this could be the problem i hope. But what is it when you just turn the key, leaky injector? or bad O-rings?

Back