• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj parts fitting a 92 xj or mj???

turbobaja1835

NAXJA Member #1299
I am considering buying a 90 xj for parts and was wondering what kind of differences there are between it and my 92 xj and mj? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wondering about stuff like: doors, rear hatch, hoods, windshield, radiator, alternator, power steering pump, etc.. Any input would be great. Joe

Body parts should have no trouble swapping over - although there is a difference in the doors (I think the MJ doors will swap with the 2-door XJ, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm?)

There were some changes in electronics - the 1990 will be RENIX, and the 1992 will be HO. The alternator is also different - the 1990 used a Delco CS-130, while the 1992 used a Nippondenso. The starters are the same.

The engine blocks may be interchanged easily, but the cylinder head was revised for the 1991 model year - they used a more standard throttle body as well. Intakes won't swap - easily.

The 1990 will have an EGR valve, the 1992 does not. This also means exhaust changes.

The RENIX will have the "closed" system (no radiator cap on the radiator,) so that's also not going to work for you. You can get a few bucks for it at the scrapyard tho - it's all copper!

Power steering pumps and boxes should interchange easily.

The MJ and XJ are the same vehicle from the A-pillar forward, and from the B-pillar (as noted above with the doors.) Therefore, the windscreed, hood, and front wings will interchange readily. If you were getting a 1984-1986XJ, I'd say not - mostly because the front clip was lenghtened and modified for the 1987 model year, to accommodate the inline six.

Anything else?

5-90

I have always been under the impression that the doors of a MJ are the same as the 4 door XJ at least judging by size. That brings up a good question. How much larger are the doors of a two door compared to a four door XJ? Anyone know if interior parts such as dash panels, seats, and stuff are the same between a 90 and 92? And what about the A/C comressor on a 90?

Ok so I bought the jeep because it had a whole bunch of parts that I wanted as is the case lately. Anyway, will the instrument cluster in the 90 XJ swap with my instrument cluster on my 92 MJ and what kind of a pain am I looking at af far as sending units for oil pressure, temp, tach, etc..????? Please help. THe reason I want to swap is the 90 has the complete guage panel with actual guages and a tach and the 92 has the infamous speedometer and fuel guage that is the size of texas and thats it. Anyone got any ideas?

Don't think the gauges are the same. I have an extra from an 89 and was told it would not work past 90 due to the change in the spedo drive system.

The front grill is different.

Check the Oil filter. They may be the same or different thread sizes. My 92 and 90 are the same but the filter lookup cataloges say different. I believe it was a changover year.

The Power steering set up might be different, mine are not interchangable due to a slight casting difference in intake manifold.

Of course the wiring is different due to OBD1. You have a power distribution center in the 92 that does not exist in the 90.

The windshield wiper motor is different with a different power connector.

My 92 radio has a clock built in where my 90 does not

Good luck with your project!

Back