• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258 Intake on a Renix 4.0?

I'm not running a carb.

I've got a line on an offenhauser intake for a Jeep/IH 258. It's ment for a 4bbl carb, and even comes with one, not that I want it.

But the beauty of it is that I can bolt a propane mixer to it without any adapters or BS. Which makes life a lot easier.

I'm going to try running an impco 425 (I get them for $20...). Which might work. I also have a chevy straight-6 HEI distributor which is adjustable. Hopefully I'll be able to dial in the timing on it... But the general premise of this is to remove as much electrical as possible. Which isn't going to be a whole lot, but it's a step in the right direction.

This is the only remianing puzzle peice in running propane.

I'm thinking it should line up as AFAIK the renix head and the 258 head were fairly similar. It wasn't until later when they introduced the HO engine with a redesigned head that things wouldn't bolt up to correctly.

DirtyMJ said:
I know the HO stuff won't work.

I'm running a 4.0 HO with a Renix intake, no problems at all. They take the same gaskets IIRC.

As far as the intake fitting, I know it's common to put the whole 4.0 head on the 258 block to fuel inject them. I have visually compared them and they look similar, but they are still mounted to the motor so I haven't been able to really compare them.

I have a 258 I will be tearing down for stroker parts, and my old 4.0. If no one else has a definite answer, I can take a closer look later on.

Back