• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 to 231...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay got the exact same year model and tranny as my XJ. I am swapping out my 242 for a 231. I know its a direct bolt in (for someone with small hands, lol) But I am wondering will the be any shifter linkage issues or even dash light (since there is no longer fulltime) issues? I am just thinking about the little stuff.

Also anyone know about how much more length there will be with a 231 with PORC HD SYE compared to a 242 with RE HnT SYE? Also any decent driveshaft shop can lengthen my driveshaft and convert the flange mount or am I needing a completely new shaft? (I guess either way it'd be a completely new shaft, lol)

and yes I searched and didn't find alot on this subject, mostly 21 or 23 spline crap, etc...

hey man,

when i swapped from my np242 to my np231, it was directly bolt in, and i ran into no problems at all. i did not modify the linkage at all, and it shifts fairly smooth. i grabbed a bezel from a part time jeep and the shift pattern is slightly off, but it doesnt bother me. 4 lo is still all the way back and 2hi is still all the way forwards, with part time and neutral falling somewhere in between. the stock 242 linkage is a tad different, which changed the throw on the 231 shifting.

i opted to skip all the dash wiring, dont needa light to tell me im using 4x4. i have an old style np231 and their part time light was tied into the vac-disco on the axle i THINK. i may be wrong, i dont know. only thing i hooked up was the speedo.

i did not have a SYE on my 242, and i have a AA HD sye on my 231, so i cant really tell you the difference in length. i use a standard CV driveshaft in the rear. its a tom woods, but its the same length as my front d/s. i carry 1 spare that fits both.

-Tim

Last edited:
what about going the other way? NP231 to NP242? Would you happen to have your fulltime bezel still?

other than full time what are strenghts and weakness of these. I'm running 242 but if a 231 will be better I know someone that is about to take their 231 out of a TJ andf i might want to change mine.

Also I'm waiting on a RE HnT from p.o.r.c. I ordered it Mon. afternoon I wish they would of suggested the flange I need to run the front cv drive shaft. I called o rileys and crossed over a dana spicer part # and they say they will have the flange tomorrow.

BigRedMachine said:
other than full time what are strenghts and weakness of these. I'm running 242 but if a 231 will be better I know someone that is about to take their 231 out of a TJ andf i might want to change mine.

It all depends on what you do with it, what axle and differentials you have etc.
If you have a Dana 60 with a spool in the back and you use it for rock crawling only, a 231 is perfect for you. If you have a Dana 35 in the back with a LSD or locker and your XJ is expected to be an all around SUV, the 242 is the way. You live in the North? Can't beat the 242 for all around 4x4
Live in South and never need 4x4? 231 is fine.

Back