• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adam's Birthday Tinkham Trip

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here’s how it all started. I got a phone call from Adam’s (adamusmc2002) wife, Laura last week asking me if I could figure out a way to get Adam out of the house for a few hours so she could plan a surprise party for him. Hmmm, where could I take Adam for a few hours…? I quickly disregarded my initial thoughts of an art museum or the ballet and settled on wheeling. But where? With Michael’s Tinkham snow camping trip coming up, and not having any idea of the conditions up there, my mind was easily made up.

The list of participants (all organized via PM) ebbed and flowed a quite a bit, but in the end we had 7 rigs. Myself, Adam (adamusmc2002), Derek (Adam’s buddy with a well-built ZJ), John (GI-John) and Eli (Can12XJGaugeMan…or something). Most of us met in Federal Way at 9:00 and made our way towards the pass via Highway 18. It didn’t look good. We were being lashed with heavy wind and sideways rain, in good NW tradition. The radio was saying that the pass was being restricted to vehicles with chains or AWD.

CIMG0105.jpg

That news by itself wasn’t bad, but the idea of ten miles of cars stopped putting on chains blocking our exit was dismaying. We added another 5 mph to our speed and pushed on. In North Bend, we met Ian (slacker87XJ) and his friend Matt who just bought a D44 equipped ’87 Wagoneer and put Ian’s old 32s on. Interestingly, Ian took Matt on our Tinkham Snow run last yeah and now he owns the aforementioned Waggy and his wife just got an early ‘90s XJ herself. Gotta love it!

Matt’s Waggy:

CIMG0139.jpg

As we got closer to the pass, the weather advisory station informed us that the pass was closed due to avalanche control, so we got off at the first Tinkham exit to avoid any backups and aired down there:

CIMG0112.jpg

It was raining pretty hard and made the snow more slush than snow. That wouldn’t last for long, though as the snow quickly got deep. Here’s the first poser shot of the day, the first of many. When I got out to take the pic, I misjudged the depth of the water and was rewarded with wet feet. Luckily my new boots (Asolos) dried off quickly, and the rest of the day I was dry and toasty.

CIMG0115.jpg

The FS road that parallels I-90 was pretty decent, except for huge ruts that made steering futile. You could have set cruise control and crossed your legs and arms for the majority of the drive to the trailhead.

CIMG0127.jpg

As we got closer, we came around a corner and thought to my self; “There is a God!” In sharp relief to the white landscape was the pastel blue paint of a new Toyota FJ Cruiser. Stuck. I jumped out and went to talk with the driver and passengers. They were indeed stuck, and stuck bad. The three guys had taken the side road in order to skip the backup on I-90 on their way to the pass to go skiing. While they had warm skiing clothes, they were totally unprepared for the conditions. They had been trying to dig their way out using a snow board, and hadn’t succeeded much.

“Hi, I’m and idiot and I want a Jeep now!”

CIMG0129.jpg

CIMG0130.jpg

I also noticed a few things: The tires, at 33,000 miles, were almost totally bald, he had the traction control engaged, and his cool rear locking differential was open. Wow. Here’s is a video of the extraction. Listen carefully for the dialogue between the driver and me…it’s pretty funny and illuminating:

Saving FJ Bacon

Once we got aimed towards the freeway and on his way, we turned up the hill to see how far we could get and scope out conditions for the upcoming snow trip. We got about three feet.

Our first XJ stuck of the day happened quickly. With stock height, drivetrain and Ian’s semi-slick old tires, he didn’t have much of a chance:

CIMG0139.jpg

Who needs a winch when you’ve got an Ian:

CIMG0141.jpg

The decision was made to leave Matt’s Waggy there rather than turn the entire day into a winchfest. The six of us made our way up the hill and were doing quite well until John got stuck briefly. This was a recurring theme throughout the day until he aired down to 5 psi. After that, he had no problems.

Both Ian and myself in the front of the pack had great luck and no problems with our spied Interco’s. We switched off leading a couple times, and had fun with some deep snow passes.

Building a turn-around spot:

CIMG0158.jpg

John airing down all the way:

CIMG0160.jpg

We actually made pretty good time, all things considered. The snow was perfect for wheeling; it was a little wet so it packed nicely and made it very easy to drive on. Those with siped tires had very little trouble at all, and we all would have like to push on further than we did but it was slow going towards the end:

CIMG0183.jpg

Here’s a video of the final push:

Playing Snow Plow

There's more coming in a minute!

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
Doing anything to stay dry:

CIMG0197.jpg

With a few hours to burn until Adam's party we decided to do some shooting. We were all pretty wet by this time, and the idea of standing in the rain didn't appeal to anyone. Here was our solution:

We had the silver side up, of course, so the black helicopters couldn’t see what we were doing….

CIMG0207.jpg

CIMG0194.jpg

Naturally, the moment we put it up the rain/sleet slowed to almost nothing. :rolleyes:

I had my HK USP .45 and my Springfield M1A, Ian has his Sig P226 and Bastard AR-15/M4, Eli had his new (to him) Ruger 1022 and Matt West had a Kimber 1911 and a shotgun. A lot of clay pigeons lost their lives that day.

Ian put my aimpoint on his M4...scope envy. :D

CIMG0206.jpg

It is a nice rifle....

CIMG0214.jpg

Eli with his new toy:

CIMG0221.jpg

Adam got tired of standing so made a little chair in the snow:

CIMG0227.jpg

With the rain coming back and Adam’s party coming up, we headed out. The trip was uneventful, a reminder just how influential gravity is. :D

Quick group shot by the RR trestle:

CIMG0232.jpg

While airing up, we took a break to read our favorite wheeling magazine:

CIMG0241.jpg

To recap the event, Tinkham road was not maintained as it was before Christmas. It was challenging in the best conditions, but I’m confident that we’ll be able to get far enough to find a place to camp in the snow.

Adam had a great surprise party with a handful of NAXJA members in attendance, some even coming who weren’t wheeling, a testament to the club’s ability to make great friendships.

Adam’s favorite present:

CIMG0272.jpg

Well, that’s about it. Thanks to everyone who came along and made it a great trip and party!

-----Matt-----

Nice thread, almost felt like i was there. wish i could have made it but i'm sure Emily would have asked to go home for most of the trip.:yap:

Happy b-day Adam, see ya soon.

Jamez.

Was this the phone call I missed?

Looks like good snow and you weren't blocked by too many turds.

Happy B-Day, Adam. I missed a good one. :wierd:

IXNAYXJ said:
Uh...maybe? I thought I mentioned it to you when we were discussing cameras Saturday.

How are those noises coming? In other words, are you going to wheeling on the 21st?

Negative. We were PM'ing about digicams...and Saturday while I was at work I had a missed call from you. I figured you were calling about cameras or something. :donkey:

I've got toasted UCA bushings, so I'm at a point where I might just do a longarm upgrade. Besides, I will only being able to take one vehicle up there the night before with the family. I'm not going to be staying the night or wheeling the next day. I forgot it's awfully soupy up there right now anyway. ;) Not my thing...hehe. I hope to have some yummy pork to bring along though. :D

come on matt, we all know your sapposed to air down to 8 psi!

--looks like it was fun.

--Great pics/write up.

--Happy Birthday Adam.

--FJ cruisers are gay.

--I have scope envy.

ECKSJAY said:
I've got toasted UCA bushings, so I'm at a point where I might just do a longarm upgrade. Besides, I will only being able to take one vehicle up there the night before with the family. I'm not going to be staying the night or wheeling the next day. I forgot it's awfully soupy up there right now anyway. ;) Not my thing...hehe.
Sure, Jason. :rolleyes:

:D

-----Matt-----

It was a fun time.
Except for me being really sick toward the end.
I would of came to the party, but hurled 3 times on the way home.
The rain sucked, though.
Feet kept dry this time.
FJ's are overrated.
Cant wait for the next one up there, good times.

wow! Matt wasn't kiddin you do look like a hippie, Adam. So am I ruled out of everything because I'm an A$$hole, or my Jeep's a POS? Just curious. Maybe it's because I don't have a personal armory in the back of my rig?

Matt-

That video was funny fo sho'! I can't believe that dink didn't have his transfer case or diff locked. That just goes to show you that there should be a standardized test for people who buy SUV's or anything with a transfer case nowadays.

No respeck for learning how to use your vehicle anymore- it's just a buy it cause it's cool factor.

What a dink that guy was though...seriously.

Late,
Southy,

AKA Coullt:sunshine:

P.S. I hate I missed that run. I'll be back up there soon enough. Tell Adam I said snootchy bootches! Or hello or whatever.

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
Look, we already have our doubts about Adam, and that didn't help. For instance:

CIMG0281.jpg

-----Matt-----
You're starting to look like your pooch, Adam.

Get a haircut you freakin hippie.:spin3:

Back