• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94-95 5SPD??

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Well time for a new transmission, main shaft bearings gone,Its a 1993 xj 5spd.I found a 5spd to fit a 1993 used for $900 canadian (way to much), and another that fits a 1994 5speed for $500 from the same place. What did they change in 94- gear ratio's? I'd rather go with the latter trans. Still short from christmas,. Thanks

I believe the difference is in the slave cylinder design, not in the gear ratio. In '94 they went to a internal slave cylinder. Don't quote me as fact though.

I don't think the gear ratios changed - I do know they changed the bellhousing and front bearing retainer (to convert from the "internal" slave to the "external,") and that sounds about like the right timeframe.

If you see a sleeve around the input shaft, make sure you get a shift fork and pivot ball with the bellhousing, since that sleeve indicates an "external" slave and a (much cheaper!) throwout bearing without an inbuilt slave cylinder.

Meanwhile, I need a bellhousing, shift fork, and front bearing retainer to compleat my own conversion...

Also, know that there were (apparently) two pilot diameters in use with the AX-15, and I have no idea when they changed. However, I do know that, when converting from the damn Peugeot, you commonly end up needing a pilot bearing/bushing from an early 1970's CJ w/304V8 and 3-speed, but I pulled my AX-15 out of a 1990 and it had a much smaller pilot - it was the same size as my Peugeot. Just keep it in mind...

5-90

94 is an external slave (I can run out to the garage and take pics.) I'm pretty sure that 92 is an internal, maybe 93 as well.

As far as I know, a 94 and a 95 XJ AX15 should be identical. AX15s out of YJs supposedly are drilled differently to clock the tcase around.

93 is internal slave
late 94 and up is external

YJ tranny is the same except for later years.

reason for difernce in price I have no idea the external slave model is much more desirable

dzraces said:
93 is internal slave
late 94 and up is external

YJ tranny is the same except for later years.

reason for difernce in price I have no idea the external slave model is much more desirable

Yep - sure is! Anyone got one lying about that they don't need? I'll take the whole transmission, or just the bellhousing, fork, and front bearing retainer...

5-90

Back