• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Missing reverse lights,bulbs

scprandy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 laredo with dash lights not working and fuse blowing.

I know, the title is misleading, please read on.

I have done enough search reading to understand that my gauge light's not working and blowing the 5 amp fuse could be the result of any number of possibly pinched wires , bad head light switch or defogger for the rear hatch.

I have replaced the HL switch, tore my dash apart, checked multiple grounds in the dash area as well as some in the engine compartment and found no solution to my issue.

Untill,......I went looking for a possible problem in the rear of the vehicle.

First, I would like to say that I have been driving this Jeep for about two years with this issue being solved with a replaced fuse two or three times , the last occuring about four months ago.

With that said, and my problem not being resolved with the replacement fuse, and my patience running thin, I went to the rear of the vehicle as I learned that these issues could be comming from wiring problems in the rear of the Jeep.

I took out the tailights, and realized that I dont have any bulb assemblies going to the reverse light portion of the tailights (no back up lights), so I followed the wiring harness as far as I could thinking that I would see the bulb just hanging there , and I cant see where they are or where they would come from (assume they would be with the others).

I removed the rear panels to get a look at the wiring in there, cant see anything that looks like a plug that isnt being used or any sign of wires being cut.

Anyone know where they should come from ?

This seems very strange and could have some influence as to why I have this issue that appears to be a short with my dash lights. Still dont understand how just the instrument lights are being effected and nothing else.

All gauges work fine, dome and courtesy lights work, "door open" buzzer works, "head lights on" buzzer works.

Any hint as to where the bulb wiring should be comming from would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance , I have learned alot from this site.

I can't help you with the actual location of the wires, my MJ is a little different from the cab back.
I can tell you that the reverse lights are seperate from the dash lights, the reverse lights are on the "trans" fuse.
The dashboard illumination get's power from the parking lamp circuit

Good luck finding the problem, my parking lamps have been shorting under the dash and I've taken it apart so many times I care to forget.
I'm just going to rewire that circuit and call it good.

Thanks, that will narrow my search down for the dash light issue.
Hopefully someone might respond with some input about the reverse issue.

Back