• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange smell with heater on

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
When I have the heater on I smell, very slightly, a hint of burnt oil. Anyone know what is going on and why I'm smelling this?

check for oil leaking onto the exhaust system somewhere ....I had a similar problem with my old ford Contour ...are you sure your smelling burnt oil ..or could it be a bad heater core leaking coolant ..even if its very minor leak ..it will smell funny...

it could also be the blower motor, they make funny smells when the bushings/bearings go and the motor heats up due to the extra drag.

I have the same smell in my '87. When I crawled under, I noticed oil on the exhaust near a bend in the pipe directly behind the oil pan (not sure if it's coming from a leaking drain plug, rear main seal or head gasket leak).

could the valve cover gasket be leaking on the back side of the engine near the firewall? I was thinking that it could be leaking down the back of the engine and burning off, and being pickup by the blower motor. Is that possible?

Back