• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmissions ???

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
i have a 4.0 supercharged I6, now i was woundering what other options i have for a trans besides an aw4 OR will the aw4 still handle the horspower and abuse that i have instore for it? any heavy rebuild kits for it or upgrades?

the aw4 will handle the supercharger, at a minimum you should install a tranny cooler (i think this should be done to every auto tranny as cheap insurance) I believe level 10 makes upgrades for the aw4

From the people I've recently taked to the aw4 is a great transmission, as far as auto's go, and has no problem handling up to 350hp. I just finished a rebuild and found many parts were fine, which I previuously thought I trashed, only running the stock 4.0. I did read somewhere, someone thought it could take up to 450hp, could be just a rumor though...

umm ok and what about my Tcase i never ran a rig with 300+ hp so im not sure what needs to be done

Toyota puts the aw4 in turbocharged supra's as the a340, so I'm pretty sure you won't have problems running a 4 liter on it under any induction.

What transfer case do you have? There are some ugprades available if necessary for the np231, there's not much for the np242.

Also, what year jeep is it?

Justpunchit said:
yeah i already have a tranny cooler with an electric fan, have the url for them??

WHERE...did you fit the trans. cooler-with-fan unit???

Thanks.

Expedient said:
WHERE...did you fit the trans. cooler-with-fan unit???

Thanks.

i took out my ac condenser becuase i run onboard air so it fits with fan right behind my grill its a great little setup.

If you manage to toast the AW-4.....Hesco sells an adapter that allows the installation of a GM Turbo 400 trans. If properly built AND COOLED a TH400 will withstand anything the jeep motor can throw at it. Years ago I ran a 400 behind a LS6 in a very heavy '71 Chevelle....with slicks....I broke EVERYTHING.....except the tranny.

Back