• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE with XJ Ft. DS, but which one?

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a HD SYE for my 231 today and im going to use an XJ front driveshaft for the rear. however my xj is a 99 with 4.0, AX-15 and 8.25. Should i get a front DS from an AW4 XJ because i think it should be longer if im correct? if thats not right what XJ oem set-up is going to have the longest front Driveshaft?

i realize i may have to have it retubed but if i can get by with out it that would be great!!

Yes, get one from an automatic, it is about 1.5 inches longer than one from a manual. Total length is about 34 inches.

And also, the AX15 is shorter than the AW4, so it will probably mean you will need a longer front shaft for the rear than someone with an auto. How much lift are you running?

Last edited:
This mod only works if you have an AW4. You'd have to get it lengthened to work with the AX-15.
You may as well get a new shaft. By the time you get a used one, legnthen it, and replace the joints, you are not far from paying for a nice new one.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
This mod only works if you have an AW4. You'd have to get it lengthened to work with the AX-15.
You may as well get a new shaft. By the time you get a used one, legnthen it, and replace the joints, you are not far from paying for a nice new one.

actually you can save quite a bit even if i have to have it lengthend and new joints. i can get the shaft for $25.00 lengthend and new joints for $75 at a local driveshaft shop and the cheapest aftermarket shaft is like $260.00

woodkrawler said:
i can get the shaft for $25.00 lengthend and new joints for $75 at a local driveshaft shop and the cheapest aftermarket shaft is like $260.00

That's not bad at all if it includes all the joints and labor. Around here they charge more and junkyard shafts are usually $50-$75 + around $60 for joints. Haven't really priced labor, I'm sure it would be close to $80.

There is a place not too far that will make them for ~$200, so it ends up pretty close to the same cost here.

Maybe I'll head down your way if I need Driveshaft work done...lol.

splitz said:
Aren't there front DSs from other vehicles that will work?

No.

Just looked Linc. Driveshafts at pull-a-part are $11.31! IM going to pull one at the same time as you and have Universal Automotive replace the joints and re-balance it....

Sounds like a great deal to me!

Chris

jerseyjeep01 said:
I have noticed that the diameter of the front shaft is smaller than the rear. Does this matter much?

it is smaller, some say weaker, but i have personally ran this set up on 3 previous XJs...one with 34LTBs, 33s, and one on 31s and no problems.

splitz said:
Aren't there front DSs from other vehicles that will work?
Yes ZJ's they are about 1" longer than the XJ's front drive shaft I have one on mine

I doubt it

red_01_xj said:
Yes ZJ's they are about 1" longer than the XJ's front drive shaft I have one on mine

ZJ drive shafts are not longer that XJs. A ZJ front DS from an auto is the exact same as a XJ front DS from an auto. They are the same part # too IIRC.

Bottom line is a front DS from an auto is 31.5" fully collapsed and it has 3" of spline. There are other vehicles that have front CV shafts, but none others that will work. Explorers are shorter. Bronco II use 1210 joints. The point being if the DS is longer it is less likely to need a double cadan shaft because it won't have bad angles. So you won't find a DS with 1310 joints that are just going to bolt up for our needs or everybody would be using them. A full size old Bronco has a rear double cardan 1310 shaft. I have only seen one and it was in bad shape. They are 15-20 years old.

So back to my original answer, no.

Last edited:
so whats the best thing to get if you have an AX15?

For what it's worth, I'm using a Tom Woods shaft. I don't mind paying for the good stuff if I don't have to worry about a catastophic failure. It's all-new as opposed to a re-shafted/welded/rebalanced front shaft off of God-knows-what.

PsychoBoyHappy said:
For what it's worth, I'm using a Tom Woods shaft. I don't mind paying for the good stuff if I don't have to worry about a catastophic failure. It's all-new as opposed to a re-shafted/welded/rebalanced front shaft off of God-knows-what.

thats great until the tom woods shaft twists the splines like i have personally see on an XJ and TomWoods would do nothing about it either.....

personally i think Tom Woods shafts are way overrated! everyone always talks about them on this board like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. For $260.00 i could build 3 front XJ driveshafts.....and as for welding and rebalancing i don't see what the problem is with that? does tom woods not weld and balance his driveshafts??? i think so.. furthermore tom woods uses lesser quality u-joints in his DS where the OEM shaft uses dana spicer joints. so if you really want to "pay for the good stuff" then you need to upgrade a tom woods shaft to spicer joints.

I agree w/ Woodkrawler. I wish I had gone another route instead of the TW driveshaft. I had to have it cut down after it arrived "TOO LONG" and they would not do anything about it. I know I ordered the correct length but they got confused. Well I took it to a local AWESOME driveshaft shop and they fixed it.

IF I had it to do over again I would support my local company and had them make me a DS from all spicer parts for about 300.00.

To defend the TW product, It has not failed to this day I just was really turned off by his lack of customer service and all around cocky attitude when I spoke w/ him about their mistake.

You live and learn....

PsychoBoyHappy said:

A driveshaft is a driveshaft. I dont think I have ever seen one fail due to the overall diameter of the tube. Usuall a broken 1310 u-joint or yoke straps.

As for the comment "re-shafted/welded/rebalanced front shaft off of God-knows-what". Basically its all spicer parts and when you can get it "re-shafted, welded, rebalanced and new joints for about 100.00... It seems like a no brainer....

Back