• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake problems..?

NickD

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so here it goes...

About a year ago my 99XJ started making a "knock" at low speeds around the front driver side wheel. The knock would stop immediatly upon applying brakes and start again when I let off the pedal. This problem would happen intermently for months and it drove me nuts, I cant tell you how many times I had the whole thing on jacks with no wheels and running the car just to try and replicate the damn noise! Then, after an 11 thousand mile drive from Alaska, the mystery noise stopped. It's been a year..........

Today, I did some routine maintenance on my jeep. You know, oil, coolant, wipers, etc. But I also changed my brake pads up front, after all it's been a year. Upon removing the old pads, I discovered that the inner pad of the driver side wheel (piston side of caliper) was worn unevenly. The remaining three I changed were all normal. Anyways, I changed the pads and put her back on the road. MY MYSTERY KNOCK HAS RETURNED!

Any advise would be greatly apprecaited as I am one step away from replacing my calipers and rotors. I can't help but imagine that this is definantly a brake problem as the whole mystery knock stops when i apply brake pressure. Oh, and my rotors look and feel fine.

HELP!!!

check to see if the rotor on the side of the uneven brake is worn a little more. when I first bought my truck the caliper was leaving one side of the inside rpad rubbing slightly against my rotor. This was enough to make it uneven. I however fixed this about 60 miles after I bought it because the brake were trashed.

I'll do that, did that result in a noise for you. What did you do to fix? replace caliper? rotor? both?

I replace the rotors because they were passed due. I bled the brakes a bunch and cleaned the calipers up. I also checked to make sure it wasnt uneven again. mine made a noise moving at anytime. a clunk and a squeal. the squeal because the rotors and pads were shot. the clunck was while going and brakeing. but that went away.

Back