• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joints when doing the brakes??? Any Advice?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
Well,
I decided to just do my front brakes, since this 1990 XJ has a ton of miles, and have no idea when they were done last. When I inspected the pads, I took a close look at the U-joints. Even thought they don't have a bunch of play, they look old. I was thinking of replacing them at the same time as doing the brakes.

Any advice? I think I recall a link to doing the u-joints, so if anyone has that handy, that would be cool.

I was thinking of using Spicer u-joints, but not a upgrade, since I plan on locating another axle and select-trac transfer case for a change in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Bob:cheers:

I suggest you jack up the front end, crank the steering all the way over to one side, and then rotate each wheel, feeling for binding and listening for clinks and groans. Sometimes when a u-joint goes bad it will first get stiff, before it shows play. You should be able to turn the wheel smoothly without feeling the joint resist. If it binds, replace it. If it turns smoothly and quietly even at full steering lock it's probably all right.

Back