• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Regulator Replacement

Rew70

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a Noob here and have a 99 Sport. A couple of questions for you...

A) Can anyone help me with instructions on how to replace the driver side power window regulator and motor?

B) All windows only work from the driver side. None of them work from their respective controls on the door. Cause? Fix?

Thanks a ton!

Even a Haynes or Chilton manual will tell you how to do the regulator. Fairly easy job depending on your mechanical skills. Make sure that is really the problem since it appears you are having problems with the switches and wiring. Do a search on power windows - I know there are several discussions on diagnosing and fixing earlier years and they may be applicable to your year.

Spudboy said:
Even a Haynes or Chilton manual will tell you how to do the regulator. Fairly easy job depending on your mechanical skills. Make sure that is really the problem since it appears you are having problems with the switches and wiring. Do a search on power windows - I know there are several discussions on diagnosing and fixing earlier years and they may be applicable to your year.

Thanks. I have a Haynes manual and it's bare cconcerning that topic. I will try a search and go from there. Thanks again for the input.

From what I am reading it seems that the regulator is ok. Do a seach for the power window lock out switch. That seems to the cause for only the switches on the drivers door working and none of the others. The replacement of the window regulator is an easy job.

Charles
'99XJ

Thanks for the tips. After searching more for the first problem, I'm fairly certain the regulator/motor needs replaced. Awful popping sound when window is rolled all the way up or down. I was able to order one for $105 and will try installing that.

As for the second issue, I will begin to look into that now with these tips. Is the lockout control switch an easy fix as well?

Thanks

If it's popping, go ahead and replace the regulator/motor unit. If it doesn't go out now, it's only a matter of time.

As far as the window lock out switch...that IS your problem concerning the switches not working. I'm fighting the same issue on my 99 and I have the write up saved on my computer of how to fix it...it would just mean you wouldn't be able to lock any of your windows (might not be good if you have little kids).

Let me know and i'll be happy to e-mail it to you.

99XJSPORT06 said:
If it's popping, go ahead and replace the regulator/motor unit. If it doesn't go out now, it's only a matter of time.

As far as the window lock out switch...that IS your problem concerning the switches not working. I'm fighting the same issue on my 99 and I have the write up saved on my computer of how to fix it...it would just mean you wouldn't be able to lock any of your windows (might not be good if you have little kids).

Let me know and i'll be happy to e-mail it to you.

That would be great. No kids to worry about. [email protected]

Thanks!

Is the replacement of the regulator/motor easy and straight forward? I can't find any instructions or illustrations showing how to do this. Anyone have that?

It's fairly easy...pretty much just lower the window all the way down. unplug the motor and unscrew the regulator/trac unit from where it's mounted on the door and on the window, and replace. Test to see if it works.

Don't be surprised if the replacement breaks. I replaced both regulators in the front doors last year...one in the spring and one late summer. The passenger one went in spring and the new one still works great. The drivers side one snapped the minute I installed it and went to test it out.

And i'm e-mailing you the write up.

99XJSPORT06 said:
It's fairly easy...pretty much just lower the window all the way down. unplug the motor and unscrew the regulator/trac unit from where it's mounted on the door and on the window, and replace. Test to see if it works.

Don't be surprised if the replacement breaks. I replaced both regulators in the front doors last year...one in the spring and one late summer. The passenger one went in spring and the new one still works great. The drivers side one snapped the minute I installed it and went to test it out.

And i'm e-mailing you the write up.

That's solid. Really appreciate it.

When I had to replace mine my window was in the up position. This did not present any problems. The new regulator was at about the half way down position - again no problem. Just be carefull when you remove the seal (for lack of a better word) that is behind the door panel. You don't want to tear or rip it. Also be carefull when you remove the clips that hold the rods for the door latch and lock in place.

Charles
'99XJ

wcbuyer said:
When I had to replace mine my window was in the up position. This did not present any problems. The new regulator was at about the half way down position - again no problem. Just be carefull when you remove the seal (for lack of a better word) that is behind the door panel. You don't want to tear or rip it. Also be carefull when you remove the clips that hold the rods for the door latch and lock in place.

Charles
'99XJ

Are you referring to that gray material that appears to be some sort of sound proofing material?

Good point about the rods for the door latch. Take note as to which position the door lock rod (the top one) is in when you install the door panel back on. It should be pulled OUT (will actually be to the right if you're looking at it). If you accidentally put it back on with it pushed in, your power locks will not work properly, and you'll have to pull the panel back out again and move that rod back to where it should be.

You'll see what I mean when you take the panel off. Just to make sure, before I put the panel back on, I always close the door and try to re-open it with the rod in each position, as to determine which way it needs to be to have the locks function properly.

Make sure the window is rolled down first though....no need in taking the risk of locking your keys in the jeep......been there, done that.

Right the gray material. Another caution is to make sure you remove all the screws in the door panel. The 3 for the armrest, the 1 behind the door handle and the one in the upper corner near the mirror. I have not had any problems with rods but removing the clips was a little bit of a challange the first time. I used a small flat screwdriver to get them started but was also concerned that I might break one or both.

Charles
'99XJ

When you remove the regulator you will have to unbolt it from the window. The window will be free to fall if it is not all the way down. Mine was duct taped closed when I did mine because my cable broke about 2 hours from the house so a stop at Walmart to buy some duct tape to keep it closed.

Charles
'99XJ

wcbuyer said:
When you remove the regulator you will have to unbolt it from the window. The window will be free to fall if it is not all the way down. Mine was duct taped closed when I did mine because my cable broke about 2 hours from the house so a stop at Walmart to buy some duct tape to keep it closed.

Charles
'99XJ
My first one broke when I was 4 hours...roughly 200 miles away from the house, at the beach, beginning my spring break. A little duct tape and a piece of moulding that I found in my buddy's grandfathers shop and it held it in place till I could get it home.

I had this problem one time and use an old style rubber wedge shaped door stop from Wally World to wedge between window where it slides down into the door....... worked great, nice and secure, cost like $0.99

Back