• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Rocky Road Lift Kit

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
i was thinking of putting this on my 2001 XJ as a start...i want to be able to put 30s or 31s on my XJ...i have heard mixed things about this lift...i could add on to this lift later on like this lift and then a 3" lift after to end up at 5"s if i want to go any bigger (i most likely wont though)

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html

what do u guys think

I just installed mine. Very beefy shackles and good lift. the only problem i had with mine was that i had to grind down the metal aroung the bumpstop to even get the spacer up front started. looks good imo

2bb001.jpg

2bb004.jpg

Sorry for the stupid poser pics ill get some better later

See the recent post with the RR 3 inch kit pictured.

Same kit without the extra one inch front spacer and the rear spacer block has only one layer instead of three.

Also the longer U-bolts are NOT supplied.

They also use BPEs, so you don't have to buy new shocks.

As for the previous poster, I didn't grind down my bumpstop area, I just lubed it up with silicone spray and used a big deadblow hammer to wack it in.

Beware...the kit comes with NO instructions!

30s should fit...no prob...31s...will rub some on the 01 MY.

I just installed the 2" RR BB on mine. Turned out well. Here is a link to my writeup.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901474&highlight=budget+boost+installation

Some issues:
1. Exhaust will hit the rear shackle. Took mine to a shop and had them heat and bend the exhaust for like $15.

2. Extensions for front don't fit....RR suggested grinding the shock extensions to make them fit, I haven't done that yet.

3. You will most likely need longer leaf spring center bolts (I did).

4. You will most likely need longer u bolts (I did).

I am running 30s no issues. Can build upon the system i.e. add new springs later to get more lift.

BTW, watch out for the rear upper shock bolts (read my writeup).

To add to ram's notes:

1. I just flipped my exhaust hanger around (97MY)

2. Yes, I ground down the ears a little bit.

3. Agree with longer center bolt....it will break off anyway

4. I "cheated" and got rid of the rear sway bar and lock-tited the nuts.

5. Check the rear bumper bolt...it will hit the shackle if you don't shorten it.

6. Had to do a transfer case drop.

Small_1.JPG

thats all great stuff..these are some tips i will defintely use when i get enough money to buy the lift and tires...kinda makes me nervous with all the problems...im new at this and im not sure about all of the technical stuff

Just adding my two cents, since my first XJ had a RR budget boost. You'll get the itch to go bigger. I started with an 90 XJ with 2" BB w/ 30's. Now I have a 97" with 4.5" REw/ 2" spacers and lift blocks, 32's. Good start for the money.

For about two weeks I couldn't make up my mind whether to go with the 2" or 3" from RR. I went with the 2". [Same issues as the other guys, not problems, just part of the fun of putting in the lift I'd say] Anyway, if I had to do it all again, I would go for the 3" lift to start with. All it is is another 1" spacer in the front and another steel block for the rear. Pretty good setup just to start with. Although the company says you'll need new shocks, I would hold off on that until you know for sure. Get the 3" and decide what more you need after you get it on.

haha, i forgot about this thread. i didnt exactly go with this one...lol

kinda went with a 6.5" hybrid longarm kit...lol

I think the RR product is good for the money. The BPE's don't fit 97+ XJs well but a little grinding gets them in just fine. The shackles are the best on the market (I think); they are very strong. If you have any ability to modify things and half a brain this kit is easy to install and shouldn't need any support. A stock exhaust shouldn't hit but many aftermarket exhausts do hit. You don't always need longer U-bolts but you should buy new ones anyway because they stretch and aren't meant to be reused. You don't always need longer center pins but if yours are rusted they will break.

Guys it is a BUDGET Boost. For $110 what do you want?! If you wanted to do it right you wouldn't be cheap and get a BB!

BTW, to the second post, pre 97 XJs have a screw in bump stop, no need to grind. It doesn't look screw in but I promise you it is. Use some heat, PB, and large channel lock pliars and it will come out. It is a tight fit on all XJ but some silicon spray and a rubbet mallet gets it in there and it won't slide out when you are offroad. A plus in my book.

Buy a longer rear brake line. It should be an option on any lift kit. It may be long enough with a 2" BB sitting on the ground but any articulation will max it out, and I'm positive you don't want your rear axle dangling but a rubber (or any material) brake line.

Last edited:
I ran the 3" RRO "budget lift" for about a year. It did well for what I use my Jeep for in that year, but I began to run into some problems such as worn out leaf springs (since they use the OEM ones)...had some issues getting driveline vibes to go away, and shimming the axle with their blocks and the worn out leaf springs made for some fun times fighting axle wrap.

In addition to their lift I had to buy shocks, longer ubolts, tcase drop, and I went ahead and dropped the cash then on a good adjustable trac bar (and i'm glad I did). So in the end, that lift ended up costing as much as a RE kit.

After I started running into problems, I did it right and with with the RE 3.5" Super Ride with full leafs and haven't looked back since.

The good thing about the RRO kit is that it is easy to add to it with another lift to get more. But i'm still not a big fan of blocks....I never was, and I was reluctant to use that set up, and I see now what it got me.

With the RRO 3" and 31's:
1000841kh4.jpg

And now with the RE:

1001074pc5.jpg

My first XJ lift in 2003 was the basic RRO 2" BB. Purchased after researching a two inch lift here for a while beforehand so none of the little things were suprises - namely longer shackle/exhaust interference, or possible ubolt/center pin length, and center pin diameter differences, or possible driveline vibes, and I knew I'd be replacing springs some day soon so an AAL type bb wasn't for me. Turned out my ubolts and center pins were long enough for the 2" kit and the XJ didn't have any lasting driveline vibes afterword - YRMV. I'm still running those shackles today with an OME and ACOS setup!

Back