• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconecting Fuel Injectors VS Disconecting Fuel line

XJiggy

NAXJA Forum User
I will be installing a new ANP header on my 98 in the next few weeks, and in preparation I came upon a conflict in disassembly. There are threads which say that you should disconect the fuel line from the fuel rail and others that say take the whole rail with injectors out, inorder to remove the intake.

Removing the injectors seems like there is a risk of damaging the o rings which are fine right now, and that would create another problem which is no good. However I read that you need a special tool to disconnect the fuel line from the rail.

Which method would you go with?
what is that tool for removing the fuel line, and how much is it? is there anything involved in reinstalling the fuel line?

thanks

I am doing the swap this weekend, along with a 99+ intake (so of course I will have to remove the injectors). I plan on disconnecting the fuel rail (the tool can be purchased from any auto parts store) and replacing the o-rings anyways (which can also be bought from the same store). I know I have a raw fuel smell sometimes from underneath my hood, and installing new o-rings should take care of the problem. Reinstalling the fuel line is easy, it just snaps back in.

there is a tool that you can buy for under 10 dollars that disconnects the fuel line to the rail. I decided to go against what i had heard and not get it. i was, however, able to put the rail and injectors out in one piece. it was still connected to the line so i couldnt completely remove the rail from under the hood, which did not create a problem as it was no longer attached to the intake manifold. i was able to set it aside and continue with the installation. there werent any problems afterward, but i would advise to get the fuel line removing tool. just to be safe.

can i get a name for the tool or just "that tool that removes the fuel line from the fuel rail"

and what do you have to do to reconnect the fuel line at the rail?

They are called "fuel line disconnect" tools, I got a cheap set at Autozone for about $10.00. When it goes back together, the line justs snaps together.

Looks like this:

ac-fuel-line-disconnect-tool-set-lis37000.jpg

Best idea is to leave as much stuff on the intake manifold as you can. Use the fuel line disconnect tools but you may need to replace the O ring in there when you reinstall the quick disconnect fitting.

Remeber to tag everything you disconnect.

alright what about painting the header? I was thinking of hitting it with a black rattle can but will the paint fade and chip easily? is it worth it?

I might be able to have it powder coated but that would require a favor...would that be worth it??

XJiggy said:
alright what about painting the header? I was thinking of hitting it with a black rattle can but will the paint fade and chip easily? is it worth it?

I might be able to have it powder coated but that would require a favor...would that be worth it??

paint burns, invite me over when you plan to fire it up......literally:smoker:

you can try some of the "high temp paint" but I haven't had any luck so far. It always burns off within a few minutes of starting the vehicle. Others have reported some success, search and see if you can find out what brand they use.

As for painting...

I picked up some aircraft stripper, and a couple cans of 1200degree paint 'With Ceramic', doubt it is really like ceramic coating, but I am hoping it will hold up.

so basically it is not worth the money time and effort. alright thats not a big deal.

another quick question...do i need to do any prep for the header gasket like soak it in anything or apply some liquid sealant or anything?

XJiggy said:
so basically it is not worth the money time and effort. alright thats not a big deal.

another quick question...do i need to do any prep for the header gasket like soak it in anything or apply some liquid sealant or anything?

nope

Back