• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump

sarbuck

NAXJA Member #1218
Hey guys,My fuel pump quit working.I checked the fuses under the hood.Are there any more places to check,before I have to drop the tank? It quit after running out of gas.When I put gas in,the fuel pump no longer worked. it's a 96XJ.

When you say fuses under the hood.......do you mean the relay switch? If not, then check the black relay switch that's under the hood on the passenger side. On the bottom of the lid will be the diagram telling you what the relays are. One will be for the fuel pump. To check it just temporarily switch one of the others near it in it's place.

Usually the fuel pump makes plenty of noise like a door buzzer before I goes out, mine sure did.

I don't know about other fuses, but there is the pump electrical connector tucked up next to the fuel filter over the left rear axle bump stop.

It might be a good idea to change the filter while you are under there if you haven't yet.

Right after I changed my '96's filter I started getting leaks at the hose ends so replaced all the hose clamps and fuel hoses in back.

Mike

I also have a '96 - and my fuel pump is buzzing like crazy!

I've heard you have to drop the tank, but mine looks as if it can be pulled right out while the tank is still in - is it possible I have the 1995 and earlier fuel tank and pump??

My pump maskes no noise,does'nt come on at all.:helpme:

sarbuck said:
My pump makes no noise, doesn't come on at all.:help me:

Since the pump "died" when you ran out of gas you may need to take it out and have a look.
But, check the outside electrical connectiuons first as it is a pain to change out the pump.

The pump CAN be changed without removing the tank, at the least drop it down some for access and use a drop of "Super Glue" placed at the top of the tanks' gasket groove to hold the gasket in place.

From experience; It is much easier to change the pump with the tank out if you haven't done it before.

Do some searching before you change the pump.

You might even want to increase the usable capacity to 23 gallons while you are under there. I've spent too much time under the back of my Jeep, so feel free to search some of my comments.

Mike

Back