• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep JK knuckles on D30

nope but made my own for 150$
jeep3.jpg

the wj is just like the tera knuckle
there is a 2 attachments on the knuckle for steering links
im not sure if a jk knuckle will fit an xj
but the wj stuff is awsome i run it and my rig steers and stops killer
the brakes are huge compared to stock xj stuff and the steering is stout. 24mm threads on the rod ends (about 15/16") the wj conversion has been covered here alot i got some good info from here and http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/knuckles/index.htm has some good info also

i should have been more specific i was refering to the steering layout not that they will interchange. i think the wj is a better upgrade beacuse of the brakes.

I did a WJ upgrade not but 2 months ago.

If I had to do it again, I'd do the tera knuckle.

I swapped a Wj master/booster into my 87, and with the stock xj brakes could lock up 35's. A month later I swapped in WJ knuckles and brakes, and can no longer lock up my front (although it stops very good). The steering is -great-, the clearance is nice (flipped tie rod).

Ignore the bad trackbar setup/angle, it was a temporary while I worked on some other things.

DSC00013.JPG

Can someone tell me all the parts that go along with a WJ knucle swap. It looks cool and I may want to try it as long as there is not a ton of other parts I need to get besides the knuckles. Thanks

It's very simple, and very complicated both at the same time.

WJ knuckles
Wj calipers
WJ rotor, redrilled 5x4.5
2000+ Tj/XJ unit bearings
flange spacer for unit bearing

some kind of draglink setup
some kind of tierod setup

relocate axle end of trackbar for proper angles
relocate swaybar mounts to clear tie rod
relocate steering dampener setup

There used to be a great writeup at www.jskmfg.com, but I cant find it just now. Expected to spend several hundred dollars and do a lot of welding. ;)

-C

I can see the pros and cons between the Tera and the WJ. A couple years back I was really gung-ho on doing the Tera on mine. But I really wanted the advantages of the stronger brakes as well. So this past year I started planning to switch my steering/braking to WJ. My project took way too long for other reasons and I have only recently begun to drive my XJ again. Right now with only 2 weeks of driving I can tell you my brakes are stronger than my factory XJ setup I just replaced. They grab a heck of a lot better. As far as locking it up I couldn't say, I carry a bunch of gear for my work and throwing it around the interior to test the brakes isn't an option. But I am confident in the brakes abilities to stop in a panic if needed.

Now that a kit from Marcus exists for stronger front brakes, it might be perfect to combine that kit with the Tera knuckle for better steering/braking. Once I again I am presuming that the two kits will work, but don't know for sure. This might be an easier way to get both benefits.

cal said:
2000+ Tj/XJ unit bearings
They have to be 2000+?

I keep thinking of doing this swap but have never gotten around to it. In the little research I've done I don't remember seeing any mention of needing a certain year bearings, although in the back of my mind I should have remembered there is a difference in bearings throughout the years.

If this is really the case I guess I need to hold onto the 2001 TJ unit bearings that I have laying around...

zith said:
They have to be 2000+?

I keep thinking of doing this swap but have never gotten around to it. In the little research I've done I don't remember seeing any mention of needing a certain year bearings, although in the back of my mind I should have remembered there is a difference in bearings throughout the years.

If this is really the case I guess I need to hold onto the 2001 TJ unit bearings that I have laying around...

I used 98 bearings on mine.

Minor parts list:

98 XJ hubs/bearings
98 XJ upper ball joints
03 WJ lower ball joints
2003 WJ Calipers
95 Crown Vic rotors
JKS Spacer
Longer caliper bolts

That's the broad strokes of it.

zith said:
They have to be 2000+?

They are supposed to be in order to maintain all of the proper offsets and keep your u-joint centered in the balljoints, yes.

Back