• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welded rear end???

It's intended to function in the same way as a spool, both axle shafts always spin at the exact same rate regardless of traction.

It also damages the temper of the spider gears and carrier, is considered kind of a "ghetto" thing to do, and will stop you from going on a lot of the advanced runs (if people hear you welded your carrier instead of ponying up $200 for a locker, they often don't want you on the run.. too much possiblity of carnage).

-C

Yeah, I was looking for a good writeup but didn't find one really fast, and the topic isn't worth actual research. ;)

Just don't do it. An Aussie locker is $240 shipped, and worth every penny.

oh are lockers that cheap? how do they lock? is it electricaly or with vacume? also if i lock the rear do i need to lock the front? and last but not least are lockers in a jeep like putting a posi in a mustang?

Some lockers are that cheap, and the prices go up into the $750 range.

I'm super busy right now so I'm going to let KarlVP field this, and if he doesnt, I'll revisit it after lunch. :)

-C

swany said:
oh are lockers that cheap? how do they lock? is it electricaly or with vacume? also if i lock the rear do i need to lock the front? and last but not least are lockers in a jeep like putting a posi in a mustang?

Some lockers are Cheap. Essentally a "posi traction" device.

If you don't care about tire wear a spool can be had for about 100 to 200 dollars. It does the same thing as welding the spider gears. Allowing NO differential action.

Other lockers are "automatic" or they do thier thing by themselves. These can be had from anywhere around 200- to 500 depending on entire carrier replacement.

Manual lockers (ARB or Electronic ones) are pricey but allow the user the option to lock the differental for maximum traction, or leave it open for street uses.

take your time and read this writeup. Then come back with any questions.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/locker-1.htm

swany said:

Most lockers are mechanical, i.e. the action of torque being applied forces the teeth of the locker to engage and spin both axles. You can spend a relatively small amount on a lunchbox-style drop-in locker (Lock-Right, Powertrax No-Spin, etc) or a bunch of cash on an ARB, Ox, or other selectable. For a mild to moderate wheeler, a lunchbox locker should be fine. Plan on spending $250-ish, any decent shadetree mechanic can install one in a couple of hours.

If a re-gear is in your plans, go with a full Detroit, ARB or other top of the line locker and do them both at the same time. Unless you have experience setting up gears, have someone else do this for you.

cal said:
, and will stop you from going on a lot of the advanced runs (if people hear you welded your carrier instead of ponying up $200 for a locker, they often don't want you on the run.. too much possiblity of carnage).
-C

They allow them in Top Truck Challenge, done right you shouldn't have a problem

top truck challenge isn't a trail run with a bunch of jeepers. it's got a whole bunch of really short events with giant tractors on hand to get you off the trail.

Welded diffs aren't allowed on MY runs, and most of the people in the area are the same way.

I thought alot about welding my 8.8 instead of a locker. But in the end I decided on a spool for $125.00. If something in my diff. breaks I want to be able to salvage what I can depending on what breaks. My main concern was the trust you put into a welded axle. I trust a spool more than most weld jobs IMO.

Kim

Jegs, or summitracing just to name a few. E-bay has tons.

A spool will eat tires fast on the street though, which is the main reason why people get lockers.

swany said:
where did you get the spool?

My spool came from DesertFab. GoodBurbon has a good point about spools. They will eat tires fast. My 85 is not a DD so no worries there.

Kim

cal said:
is considered kind of a "ghetto" thing to do, and will stop you from going on a lot of the advanced runs (if people hear you welded your carrier instead of ponying up $200 for a locker, they often don't want you on the run.. too much possiblity of carnage).

-C
SPOBI

A spool or welded diff will tend to "push" you around on the street, since the tires aren'r differentiating. This is annoying, as well as potentially dangerous. I wouldn't run a welded diff in anything short of a farm truck that never leaves your property, and a spool is a waste of money IMO. Go with a full locker, Detroit if you don't care about street manners (much better than a spool on the street, the soft-locker is almost as street-friendly as an open diff)

Back