• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm or Super Flex or WHAT!?

Roach

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'm an FNG.

This is my second XJ, I don't plan on killing this one.

I'm moving to Alaska and plan on hooking my 96 Country 4.0 4x4 (stock) up.

I'm a former SCC fan, and prior owner of a R-34 Skyline. This is pretty new to me. I have spent the past 3 weeks reading everything I can here.

From what I have learned here I have swayed to getting a RE 4.5" lift.

I want to know what is the difference between a long-arm and a super-flex.

Keep in mind I have plans to also purchase an ARB Front Bumper, eventually add a winch. I believe that weight will play a factor.

I'm going to keep the D30 and 35 just hook them up a bit.

Also, this will be a daily driver. As of yet, I am not a dedicated off-roader, but I'm a hunter, and a mountain biker. I need something that can take me on the highways at 65+ and off road in Alaska.

Thanks to all that can help and probably answer this question already dealt with.

Roach

The RE6030 kit - a superflex kit - is great for a starter. If you want to go a little better, add drop brackets and a heavy duty trackbar and bracket.

Longarms provide a little better range of motion with extreme flex, but like everything, have their own drawbacks. I'd start with the 6030 and upgrade from there as necessary.

the superflex will be a little noisier that the superride but the added flex offroad is well worth it the gen 2 disco's are garbage but they work. I would also upgrade the trackbar cause the mount is weak and alot of shops and others have recomended not using heims for the trackbar my .02 cents

cal said:
The RE6030 kit - a superflex kit - is great for a starter. If you want to go a little better, add drop brackets and a heavy duty trackbar and bracket.

Longarms provide a little better range of motion with extreme flex, but like everything, have their own drawbacks. I'd start with the 6030 and upgrade from there as necessary.

X2... RE Superflex, full spring kit, I highly recommend upgrading to JKS quicker disconnects, HD trac bar w/ brace, adj upper and lower control arms, and the control arm drop brackets. Why?.. I have found out the hard (more costly) way - but it right the first time. BUT if cost is a big factory, hold out on the adj control arms and trac bar brace. I will still get the control arm drop brackets as this will help with the suspension geometry.

As for shocks, Bilstiens are awesome, but the Rubicon Express mono tubes are also good.

Remember, (depending on the year of your XJ) you will probably need a slip yoke eliminator and rear driveshaft.

Now for pricing, definitely check with the NAXJA vendors first. DPG Offroad, Northridge 4x4, LooseNuts, etc... (http://sponsorship.naxja.org/)

Good Luck!

krelja said:
the superflex will be a little noisier that the superride but the added flex offroad is well worth it the gen 2 disco's are garbage but they work. I would also upgrade the trackbar cause the mount is weak and alot of shops and others have recomended not using heims for the trackbar my .02 cents

It will not be any noisier if you keep it greased. As for the Gen2 discos they work great. I mean its the same concept as JKS's quicker discos.

With the 4.5" kit just sub in the ZJ 3.5" or 4.5" springs and it will be fine w/ an arb and winch. You may eventually add a 3/4" spacer but it works great.

The heavy duty TBar and bracket are not needed but a nice addition. The brace isnt worth the money IMO.

Basically I would order the RE 4.5" superflex kit, sub in 3.5" ZJ front springs, and get 4 RE Monotubes and upgrade to the HD tbar and bracket.

just my 0.02

chris

Back