• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96XJ Power loss on excelleration

huntsvil

NAXJA Forum User
I am new here so I hope I am posting this correctly.:eek:
My jeep loses power when the gas is pressed and after it has run a good distance or have been idling thru the woods for some time. This makes me think it is happening only when it is at max opperating temperature but not overheating. I suspect a fuel pump but it only has 29,000 miles on the jeep when I bought it recently. I also know it sat at the owners for a while due to his illness. I changed the temp sensor up front and am now thinking the fuel pump but it only does it when warmed up.
Got any ideas that work? I will be most grateful.
Thanks

I am having VERY similar problems. I have a new pump in my garage, I am just looking for time to replace it. I will let you know if it makes any diff. By the way, does your FP run really loud. I can hear mine running over the engine with the windows up, radio on (low) sitting in the drivers seat. Its a horrible noise.

huntsvil said:
I am new here so I hope I am posting this correctly.:eek:
My jeep loses power when the gas is pressed and after it has run a good distance or have been idling thru the woods for some time. This makes me think it is happening only when it is at max opperating temperature but not overheating. I suspect a fuel pump but it only has 29,000 miles on the jeep when I bought it recently. I also know it sat at the owners for a while due to his illness. I changed the temp sensor up front and am now thinking the fuel pump but it only does it when warmed up.
Got any ideas that work? I will be most grateful.
Thanks

Make sure the O2 sensor wiring isn't shorting out somewhere, otherwise the engine will run too lean and cause the problems you've described.

I never got a code, but the engine would run like sh*t at low rpms pulling up to a stop or just pulling away from a stop. It even stalled a few times on me.

Very scary especially when you rely on the engine making power to get out of the way of oncoming traffic (ie left turns).

Installed a new 02 sensor and it runs like a dog on fire. (knock on wood....again)

I used to think my fuel pump was going out but I checked the pressure and it was fine and dandy.

I really think Seafoam killed my 02 sensor. Oxygen sensor safe my @ss.

Last edited:
Back