• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31's or 32's on 3.5" RE lift?

BigOrangeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently debating whether to go with 31" or 32" tires on my '88 xj which will be getting a 3.5" re lift. I know their lifts run a little high but I saw a guy with a 4.5" RE and 32's and there wasn't too much clearance. a friends uncle is installing the lift so I don't want to have to do too much if any trimming. any suggestions? I thought that 32's would be a little more stable, but maybe I should really be looking at 31's

You'll be fine with 32s. The only trimming you might have to do is for steering clearance. If you don't feel like doing any trimming at all, then I would go with 31s and they will also give you a little more clearance for flex if you plan to take it off road.

Here's a few of my jeep with the RE 3.5" and 32x11.50 A/Ts

jeep.JPG

jeepangle.JPG

As you can see, I've also taken the fender flares off to give me some more clearance also. My front tires were hitting the inside fenders when I turned.

Cheers.

just add longer bump stops if you dont want to trim, but definately go with the 32's

heres mine on a 3.5 lift, 32 BFG MT's but i have done some extensive triming because i wanted more flex. Working on making some bumpstops now.
100_0279.jpg

100_0235.jpg

newyearswheeling_P-1.jpg

I trimmed my fenders a little and have 32's on a stock XJ (No Lift). I flexed it out as much as I could with the front sway bar still connected and cannot get it to rub at all.

I am really highly considering going w/ retreads now. I could get them for $85 each (green diamond OTR muds). Not a bad price I suppose. I have heard more good reviews than bad. I will see if I can get a different deal on 5 BFG m/t's to go through and if not then 31" retreads may be in my future.

For off road you can swap to some 32s for the mud. TSL 32x9.50 is a wicked little digger. Then run 31s on the road for less bounce and better stopping and gas milage.??

DSC00327.jpg
Listen you deffinetly want bigger tires, the bigger you can go the better, unless you crawl alot, Ive got the re 3.5 but I added pucks and teraflex shackles on top of that and pulled off 33/12.50's with very little trimming, and to avoid extending the front brake lines just detach them from the body, they don't get in the way of anything.
DSC00329.jpg

wat kind of gas mileage do you get with 33's and stock gears?? would 32's make much difference?? cuz i was goin to go with RE 3.5" and 33/12.5 truxs cuz they are cheaper than 32/11.5 bfg muds.

you have a d35 rear? I would be afraid to run 33x12.5s on the D35. I don't even feel safe with the 32's I am getting and will be looking for a 29 spline 8.25" as soon as possible. curious to know how much the gas mileage dropped though

Im gettin about 17 to the gallon man, so i can't complain, but flex is some what limited, I want to but 4.11 gears in it with lockrite front and rear, but im a weineer with no money

well right now i have a d35 and 30/9.5 m/ts and am gettin 15-16 around town but my speedo is off. so i do not know the true mileage yet but i goin to get new speedo gear when i get the lift. all i wnted to really know is wat kind of gas mileage guys with d35's and 33's are gettin on stock gears to see if it is a big enough difference to pay for the 32 bfg's.

BigOrangeXJ said:
you have a d35 rear? I would be afraid to run 33x12.5s on the D35. I don't even feel safe with the 32's I am getting and will be looking for a 29 spline 8.25" as soon as possible.

im running 32's with a d35 and have no problems. its more of the driver creating problems by not knowing how to drive, not to rag on your driving or anyones driving cuz ive never seen you wheel but driver error is usualy the deciding factor for equipment failure.

jpcherokeekid said:
im running 32's with a d35 and have no problems. its more of the driver creating problems by not knowing how to drive, not to rag on your driving or anyones driving cuz ive never seen you wheel but driver error is usualy the deciding factor for equipment failure.

indeed. I was totally at fault for blowing up my dana 35 with 32's. I mean, what was I thinking making a u-turn in a dirt staging area without checking to see is part of the ground was harder than the rest?

Seriously, the dana 35 isn't a driver error problem, it's just under engineered to save a couple bucks per jeep during production, and has no business holding a jeep with larger than stock tires off of the dirt.

Back