• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusys vs RC

87woodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Now I know that these are "bottom of the barrel" lifts (and I did a search and found a RC vs Rustys control arms but not regarding their lifts) but the Rusty's 3" lift is cheaper by about 100 bucks.. But of the two.. which is better and provides better offroad performance?

thanks in advance.. :wave1:

K.S

I heard from my brother's sister's cousin that Rusty's was horrible. But I bought a lift from him anyway and really like it. I run the 4.5 and have had it for 4 years. I don't know anything about the RC lifts, but I would recommend Rusty's from my experience. I got a good product and the customer service has been good.

Everyone may not agree, but that is why we have different brands.

My .02

The rough country it cheaper.. i paid 220 shipped for mine directly from Rough Country.. I drive my jeep daily about 60 miles on and off the high way with 32's and i love it.. As far as flex goes, ill let the pics speak.. this was the 3in AAL kit.. front new shocks and springs, rear add a leaf and new shocks...

hig115039.jpg

hig115038.jpg

Im pretty sure thats about as much flex as you can get with stock control arms as they hit the shock mounts and stop..

my lift is rustys, along with a few other poeple i wheel with. quality of their products has been great, and havn't seen any breaking, or any real problems with any of their products yet...even bought my flowmaster through them..lol

Re: Rustys vs RC

FWIW, since you are in CA, I think in the long run the RE lift will be cheaper. I had a set of Rusty's leaf springs sent to me in WA a few years ago that cost 80.00 in shipping alone. (They sagged 2" in 2 months also)

IIRC, RE is based out of CA, and Rusty's is in AL. You could probably find a great price on RE through one of our vendors here that would make the deal even sweeter.

Hope this helps,

John

YeaItsSlo said:
The rough country it cheaper.. i paid 220 shipped for mine directly from Rough Country.. I drive my jeep daily about 60 miles on and off the high way with 32's and i love it.. As far as flex goes, ill let the pics speak.. this was the 3in AAL kit.. front new shocks and springs, rear add a leaf and new shocks...

hig115039.jpg

hig115038.jpg

Im pretty sure thats about as much flex as you can get with stock control arms as they hit the shock mounts and stop..

wow thats damn impressive! thats the exact kit I was looking at and i just couldnt seem to find anyone with the 3in that had flex pics... thanks alot..
Do any of you with the Rusty's 3in lift have any flex pics?

GI-John said:
FWIW, since you are in CA, I think in the long run the RE lift will be cheaper. I had a set of Rusty's leaf springs sent to me in WA a few years ago that cost 80.00 in shipping alone. (They sagged 2" in 2 months also)

IIRC, RE is based out of CA, and Rusty's is in AL. You could probably find a great price on RE through one of our vendors here that would make the deal even sweeter.

Hope this helps,

John

and to cali it is 320 shipped to the door with the Nitro shock upgrade so its not economicly worth it to go to RE for 475 for their 3.5in kit.. the extra 1/2in isnt woth 150+ to me.. I've been told to stay away from the whole new leaf springs until it is from RE or something of the calliber..

Last edited:
The flex isnt really going to be any different with any cheap lift that just changes front coils and adds an add a leaf. You are using the same control arms, which are going to limit your front flex, and stock main leaf/ shackle in the rear which is going to limit your rear (provided the shocks arent the limiting factor). Heres a pic of my rustys 3inch with 1 inch spacer, but with upgraded shocks. This is not fully flexed, but the only flex shot I have. Now I wish I went with the HD springs becuase with my new bumper (not in pics) the front went down almost an inch!
-Jerry
IMGP2376-1.jpg

sandmcrew2 said:
The flex isnt really going to be any different with any cheap lift that just changes front coils and adds an add a leaf. You are using the same control arms, which are going to limit your front flex, and stock main leaf/ shackle in the rear which is going to limit your rear (provided the shocks arent the limiting factor). Heres a pic of my rustys 3inch with 1 inch spacer, but with upgraded shocks. This is not fully flexed, but the only flex shot I have. Now I wish I went with the HD springs becuase with my new bumper (not in pics) the front went down almost an inch!
-Jerry
IMGP2376-1.jpg

damn.. thats alot of loss from the bumper.. hmm.. looks good.. are those 31s? how much did you trim off the fenders?

32's. Trimmed the fenders probably an inch and a half in the front-normal trim job, then raised the flares. the rear is not cut, just bumpstopped (in the pic the rear is on the bumpstops, it will go higher though with more pressure as the rubber compresses).
-Jerry

sandmcrew2 said:
32's. Trimmed the fenders probably an inch and a half in the front-normal trim job, then raised the flares. the rear is not cut, just bumpstopped (in the pic the rear is on the bumpstops, it will go higher though with more pressure as the rubber compresses).
-Jerry

why did you bumpstop it rather than just trim it?

Here's mine with Rustys front 4.5" springs, 1.75" spacer, and adjustable LCAs (still short arms, I'm working on making long arms though). The rear uses F150 springs and new shackle mounts, flexes better than RC, Rustys, RE, etc... Those are 33s, and it still not fully flexed.
DSCF1075.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

I would go Rustys over RC, I have compared their parts and there is a big difference in beef! I started out with a RC trackbar....it scared me and went through joints every month! It looked like a piece of tin foil compared to the rustys part (and rustys HD TB is the most ragged on part they make). I will admit if I was just looking for another bolt on kit it would probably be a RE/TNT combo though.

Back