• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7" TJ flares on an xj?

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i recently got pulled over for having my tires stick out too far (flareless) and i dont have a whole lot of money. did some research on making my own flares but decided i could do wrangler flares pretty cheap. havent had a whole lot of luck and i never know how wide they are because appearantly there are a few different stock widths (3.5" and 5"). anybody ever put the 7" wide ones on an xj? i found some within my price range. i'd probably just use the front, but i can't have ANY uncovered tire sticking out on the side. i'm running 33x12.50x15 trxus m/t's on 15x8 w/ 4in BS. if i get caught again with tire sticking out it's gonna run me about 400 bucks so i gotta cover em' up. are the 7" flares going to look silly and be overkill?
just looking for some opinions.
Thanks

is anybody running flareless with a 15x8 wheel and 4in BS with a 12.5 tire? if so, it'd be sweet if you could measure how far the tire sticks out. i think i'll probably end up putting one of mine back on and measuring it but if i could avoid that it would be cool though.
Thanks

I am running the same tire/wheel measurements and flareless. I will take measurements this afternoon and let you know what I get. I don't think it's more than 3 inches though. Have you measured yours yet? Also, check your local laws to see what the max amount tire can stick out. Most places say something like no more than 1"....

As for th 7" TJ flares, I think that would be too big for your width of tire. I have seen an XJ with 5" flares and 10" wide wheels and it covered nicely, not sure if it was legal though.

I would recommend just the standard TJ or Rubicon/Sahara flares. The Rubicon and Sahara flares are a little wider than the standard TJ flares.

There are many write-ups on different TJ flare installs.

Good luck!

Thanks, that would be awesome! the law says you can't have ANY tire sticking out at all. i guess the best way to measure would be to take a straight edge like a yard stick and put it up against the tire, touching both the top and bottom sidewalls then measure in to the fender... that sound right? I need to get this straightened out, i'm sick of running 225's with 5" lift:banghead:
Thanks again!

vetteboy said:
The regular TJ flares didn't cover my 33's all the way (33x12.5, 15x8 wheel, 4" BS). I think the Rubicon ones would have worked fine.

X2 Stock rear TJ flares all around covered the rear just barely but the front hung out prob 2" per side due to how the front fenders narrow as they go forward.

33X12.50 MTR's 15X8 wheel, 3.25 backspacing.

the way i look at it, if they're too wide and look goofy, i'll just cut them down. much easier than trying to widen them if you ask me...

BADaXJ said:
the way i look at it, if they're too wide and look goofy, i'll just cut them down. much easier than trying to widen them if you ask me...

Not really...the inside edge and the outside edge are both folded over; the inside edge is where the bolt holes are to mount 'em up. It would be easier to space 'em out by far.

Yes, they will be too wide... in the back. A friend of mine put YJ bushwhackers on his XJ and the fronts looked nice. The lip over-covered the front tire by just about an inch and it looked perfect. However, the backs looked like wings because they stuck out about 4-5" too much. You could probably put the 7" wides up front and standard widths (3.5s) out back and be good.

Also, search for TJ bushwhackers/YJ bushwhackers. There are pics around of a few XJs with these setups. The bushwhackers are about the same width as you're asking.

Find a set of flares from a rubicon or a sahara.........I am running them on my 98 with 35x12.5 on 15x8 with 3.75" of b/s and only my front stick out, maybe 3/4", but I think that is from my hub kit, with widens the axle on each side. My rears are completely covered.

Not really...the inside edge and the outside edge are both folded over; the inside edge is where the bolt holes are to mount 'em up. It would be easier to space 'em out by far

Well, i would probably just cut a strip out of the middle and fiberglass the two halves together... i've had plenty of practice with it and i have access to lots of it.party1: i think if i can find a set that i can afford, i'll go with the 7" ones and cut down the rear or sell them and get a set of regular or rubi rear flares. i'd much rather have a little extra coverage and sacrafice some looks than pay a $400 fine... might as well do it right the first time. they're starting to crack down here in maine and supposedly in a few months, if you get pulled over and your tires are more than 2 sizes over stock and you have over 3 inches of lift, the cop is going to cut your inspection sticker in half and you are SOL until you make it legal and pay for another inspection:passgas: so, i'd rather get some good coverage and not give them reasons to pull me over and get screwed...
Thanks for the help guys!

Here's one. This is 0313's He runs full widths though.:D

2006_0220021.jpg

2006_0523012B-1.jpg

2006_0523007.jpg

i dont know if its legal but i am running 33 12.5 15 with my stock flares and only minor cutting on the front under the lights and i have not been pulled over yet (knock on wood) they are so close i think that the look like the cover unless the cop is sitting behind me at a light. and still have not been pulled over but if the cops got ur number then i heard about getting flares for a mid 70s chevy pickup. they have a large inner flap that u can screw to the fire wall and you can get them in different flare sizes.

BADaXJ said:
Thanks, that would be awesome! the law says you can't have ANY tire sticking out at all. i guess the best way to measure would be to take a straight edge like a yard stick and put it up against the tire, touching both the top and bottom sidewalls then measure in to the fender... that sound right? I need to get this straightened out, i'm sick of running 225's with 5" lift:banghead:
Thanks again!
put the yard stick on the top of the tire so it is perpendicular to the direction the travel. then hang a string with a weight on it (plumb bob) from the end of the fender and use simple addition and subtraction to figure out how far the weight it from the edge of the tire. if you cand find a weight like a top so it has a point on it then teh measurements will be easier and more precise. (this idea is a pretty recent thing (a few thousand years) so if you have never heard of it don't feel bad unless you are a carpenter or sumthin like that

Back