• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobbles and other thing

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all first I have a 92 with 4,o 5 speed 145,000, I get a small amount of DW at 45 to 60 not bad but its there. All tie rod have been replaced trac bar replaced shocks installed new rotors &pads stablizer shock is new.Had tires rebalanced put a dial indicator on everything I can think off all well with in factory spec.The only thing I can find is rear springs are shot have 17.5'' in front and 15.5'' in rear should be 17'' rear any idias. have other thing but will wait till have this fix first.

Have checked front drive shaft and bout front axle joints.Lower control arm and upper arms.motor mounts are fair rear trany mount good rear drive shaft has new ujoints new rear shocks front diff has been drain and flushed with new fulid so has rear and looked over good only thing is rear main leaking and bad rear springs.

tires might be separating. Had bfg at's that started to separate on my gc with about 5k on em. They balanced on the machine but vibed at 67 mph. Finally i put tires from my other jeep on there and the vibes went away. Got new tires. Probably rare but something to consider

Checked the alignment? Control arm bushings. There is no such thing as a "little" DW. You either have "crap-my-pants-oh-my-god-I'm-going-to-crash" DW or just normal vibrations.

I don;t think it just vibs if I hit a small hole or raised placed like a tar patch it starts .The stearing wheel shakes back and forth till I slow down or go in to a tight trun it will stop.and it some times will start up for no reason at around 45 to 60.Its not like a tire out of balance have all 4 tires spin balance 2 times now.control arms are tight have tryed to pry them back and forth.Toe in is at 0'' factory spec.

I had death wobble on a lifted bronco I had a while ago. Rotating the tires seemed to help, as they were wearing somwhat unevenly due to some camber issues. Putting on a steering stabilizer also made them disappear for good (It had 33" tires). From what I hear there can be any number of things that can cause it to wobble...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707923

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:
-Front tires out of balance
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Need adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end