• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which motor mounts?

Jess

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of building a primarily trail only (87, 4.0) and need new motor mounts, but I am not sure which ones to buy. I have heard alot about the bombproof mounts, but don't want to spend $130+. Should I get the poly mounts or OE rubber mounts, or are the bombproof ones worth the money?

Are there any alternatives to the ones I mentioned? And what are the pro's and con's of each?

I run the rawbrown motor mounts, installed them on my 87 about 6 weeks ago. The install was quick and easy, painless fit. I had picked up a poly transmission mount to run at the same time.

You get MAJOR engine vibe through every bit of the car. You can feel every valve open and close with the chattering of your teeth. :) I installed an OEM transmission mount and saved the poly one, after that experiance. :)

On a trail only rig, I'd install them again. They certainly are strong, and cut down on engine movement. On a rig that gets driven on the street, I'd probably go OEM.

Would it cause any problems to run rubber mounts since they are much cheaper? I mainly run rocks and have had no problems with the stock mounts on my other trail rig.

my rubber mounts broke about every 6 months. I think the tcase drop did it. Anyway switched to daystar motor and tranny mounts. More vibes but they dont break. Cheaper in the long run for me.

mnaemark said:
my rubber mounts broke about every 6 months. I think the tcase drop did it. Anyway switched to daystar motor and tranny mounts. More vibes but they dont break. Cheaper in the long run for me.

Good Point.
I don't want to change them often. Out of curiosity where your mounts on a manual or auto. From what I have read, the manual mounts seem to be more prone to breaking.

I put in a set of the M.O.R.E. BombProof motor mounts 4 or 5 years ago. Yup, more vibes, especially at idle, and definitely more expensive than stockers. But *FAR* stronger. BTW, they *ARE* rebuildable, looks like LCA bushings.

If this is for trail only, I'd say go with the good mounts. Broken engine mounts can go from a mild annoyance to fan-through-the-radiator pretty quickly on a trail rig.

i put on polly mounts from Brown Dog Industries last time, and i love them, and they were cheap, like $50 shipped off ebay. Look for the yellow ones.

ChiXJeff said:
I put in a set of the M.O.R.E. BombProof motor mounts 4 or 5 years ago. Yup, more vibes, especially at idle, and definitely more expensive than stockers. But *FAR* stronger. BTW, they *ARE* rebuildable, looks like LCA bushings.

If this is for trail only, I'd say go with the good mounts. Broken engine mounts can go from a mild annoyance to fan-through-the-radiator pretty quickly on a trail rig.
M.O.R.E. are trail-only? No way. Get the M.O.R.E. JM600s (the ones with the big rubber bushings) like Jeff mentioned and don't look back. A little more vibe at idle, but once you're moving they're as smooth as OEM, and a heckuva lot beefier. They're worth every penny and then some, and I'd never go back to OEM mounts now that I've gone BombProof.

Another thing you risk with bad mounts is a cracked exhaust manifold.

Do it right, and do it once.

Rob

Back