• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj laredo

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
about how much would you guys pay for a bone stock 88 xj laredo? 4dr. 4.0 auto 4x4 about 170000, runs good with no major problems. minor is the power steering leaks, and this guy is telling me there is something wrong with one of the pulleys :( so it eats belts... but again he is an idiot and probably doesnt have the belt tight to begin with and it throws the belt into the fan. Body is not to bad no dents or anything and I don't think its full of rust. and since its a 88 laredo it probably has the 30 disco and 35 rear? does about 500 sound fair?

Yeah i would think 500 is fair if she drives out alright. i just got an 89 about the same but with more miles for that much. I had someone at the local shop look over it to see if they could find anything i coudln't. But i feel i got a good deal for that much.

ut
DurbElites said:
about how much would you guys pay for a bone stock 88 xj laredo? 4dr. 4.0 auto 4x4 about 170000, runs good with no major problems. minor is the power steering leaks, and this guy is telling me there is something wrong with one of the pulleys :( so it eats belts... but again he is an idiot and probably doesnt have the belt tight to begin with and it throws the belt into the fan. Body is not to bad no dents or anything and I don't think its full of rust. and since its a 88 laredo it probably has the 30 disco and 35 rear? does about 500 sound fair?

Jeeps any older than about 1995 are almost non existant at the used car lots in Houston right now. I paid $1,500 for a barely working, 4x4, 4.0L, 87 Wagoneer over three years ago back when jeeps were plentyfull here along with everything else here at distressed prices due to the economic slow down between 2001 and 2004. I have since spent probably three times that much fixing all the worn out stuff on it. Wouldn't part with it for less than $6,000 now, if that.

$500.00 sounds like a steal. Is it in or near Houston????:scottm:

The trick seems to be finding deals locally. Too costly to ship them.

Did I mention that I have converted my $1,500.00, 1987, 4.0L, XJ, from a FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) back to a Daily Driver Jeep since then!

I just paid $900 for an 87 laredo, 4x4, 4.0, auto, 230k miles...he was asking $1400.

It's got an intermittent stall/won't restart problem I'm trying to figure out. When she runs she runs so nice you'd swear it had a brand new motor/trans. but out of the blue it'll just die like the aliens took over and will turn over but won't fire. walk away for a hour or a day, starts like nobody's business.

I got my 89 laredo for $1000 about 6 months ago. Garage kept, 88k on the clock, mint body and interior. Only down was a bad alternator.

I got my 87 pioneer for 800 and then i found out that the last owner towed a boat in to Long Island Sound with it and everything in the back was stuck on(sucks whenyou have a flat tire) but then i found out it had a d44 under it. Got it with 154000 on the clock. 4.0 aw4 242

Not a bad deal overall. I bought an '88 Laredo back in June for $600. It came with a shot radiator and water pump, but everything else is still working well (cruise, A/C, power windows, locks and mirrors [scratch the dual power mirrors-one gotten eaten by a tree yesterday], AND it also came with {somebody actually paid for this!?!} a rebuilt Puegot, and the FSM on disc). Definently worth the money. There are deals out there, sometimes you just have to look harder for them.

I just bought a 89 XJ Pioneer 4-dr 4.0 auto 4X4 200,000mi for $50.

It has the same stall/restart issues mentioned earlier....

I've found LOADS of info here and haven't begun to check everything yet...

Hope to make it my daily driver by spring.

$500 for my 90' 4.0 AW4 242 TC 171K, $200 for my 91' 4.0 AW4 231 TC 100K, the 91' is in great sahpe, only thing I don't like is the 231 TC, got spoiled with the 242.
$500 for an 88' does not seem bad at all to me, especially if its a Cali.car, may not have all the rot we seem to get here in New England

I've got an 88 Laredo - Dana 30/35, unless you have tow package (probably the last year that Dana 44's were found with tow package...) If it's a stick, rule out the D44 - and get your paws on an AX-15 soonest. I went through four of those damn things in three years...

5-90

it was a cali car still with the cali plates on it and its an auto so hopefully its got the d44s that came with the tow package but we will see.

Nobody else has addressed the belt-eating issue. That is most often caused by the harmonic balancer. The outer ring is likely separating from the hub and causing a misalignment. Do a search on this as it has been discussed a lot. Pain of a job to replace due to limited space and the need for some special tools that can be improvised, but not real complicated.

Dang, you guys are making me feel like I paid too much !!

I am VERY satisified with mine, even tho I paid $950 for it.

88 Cherokee Pioneer 4x4, 4.0/auto, 30/35, 231, dang thing looks brand new, and drives almost as well. Everything works, but it does have a rear main oil leak, and I am sure the exhaust manny is cracked.

People who have seen it and ridden in it, swear it is newer, and that it was worth more money than I paid.

I got it for hunting, as it was way cheaper to buy this, than a used 4 wheeler. And in the end, I am very pleased I did. My plan was to unload it after hunting season, but not now. It has become a permanent member of my garage. Heck, I've stopped working on my fullsize rockcrawling rig to work on this...it's so easy to do.

It has also impressed my a good bit. I have driven thru mudholes and ruts with it that the other guys I hunt with either have to use 4wd, or go thru it at like 50 mph. The xj drives thru easy as pie at less then 5 mph, in 2WD !!! Granted, I did put some new mud tires on it and a lockright in the rear. Yeah, I know, a locker in a d35....well, it was put in to make it controllable on wet clay roads, not for rockcrawling. And it did the job it was supposed to very dang well by the way. I can't even drive my rock crawler on some of those roads in 2wd, as it has so much weight and power, that it just starts too chew up the road too easily.

Anyway, all of this from a new XJ convert......I'm very pleased with my lil rig.

Back