• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dented rear hatch wont open now

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 98 xj two two days ago the rear hatch has a good sized dent on the passenger side. when I test drove it the kid just pushed in on the side that was dented and pulled the handle and it oppened up fine. the next day I tried it and it took like 4 trys to do it, the next time like 10. then today I was at les schuab getting new 33's It wouldn't open, I have spent like 2 hours trying to get it open, I am ready to take the tourch to it!!!! from what I can see from the inside the latch is different from any of the 5 older xj's that I have had the inside plastic wont come out with the door closed, It moves a tiny bit when I pull on it, wheather the handle is pulled or not, please help!!!!

have someone on the inside kick or push the hatch from the inside as you pull and operate the relese from the out. its been said to work when the latch sticks or is frozen- dont know for sure if it'll work in your situation but its worth a try

hth

At least you didn't do this:
DSC03896.jpg

Yes, it is mine :)

not really. I drove forward to cause this. The rear axle was high centered on the big log seen in the photo, I jacked it up and drove off the log. I thought that after pivoting, the jack may touch the hatch, but just fall to the ground. It didn't fall. :) No worries, if I didn't expect a little body damage, I wouldn't have a 4x4!!!

i have read on here about removing the bolts that hold the latch/catch that are located behind the bumper mine sticks too and i havent had to do anything about it yet so let me know if it works good luck

well I wound up ripping out the door panel and there is a peice of linkage that conects the latch to the handle I re adjusted that now it is fine, for now anyways. btw I had to rip out like 4 srews and cracked the plastic in two places to get out the panel with the door shut. also the dent had nothing to do with it.

i took off the latch interior panel and then opened it with the linkage. Welded the bar to the thingy and it works fine now. dont know what the thingy or the bar is called but goood luck

Back