• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

XJ FREAK

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided to go with 32x11.50 tires but I do not have my mind made up about how aggressive is to aggressive. Take in count that it is a daily driver and I go wheeling once a month at best, looked at super swamper, any suggestions on a good all around tire.

BFG T/A KO's are a good tradeoff. Decent highway life and not bad on the rocks. They are not great in the mud.

Mud and Daily driver equals a tire with big lugs, a lot of noise, and not very good life.

My rig is a DD too. I have always like the agressive pattern that super swamper has and I am debating on getting SS, Kuhmos, or BFG ATs. I was leaning on the SS TSL Radials because of the agressive tread pattern and I really like that. I also heard that the wear is pretty good.

But the wear on a Kuhmo MT is better yet and it performs good for its price. So price really is not an issue.

If you like the Super Swamper I would go with the SS too.

From what I have read the SS TSL Radials are good for a DD and the SS TSL are not the best for a DD (do not take my word as of yet I could have that backwords or be completely wrong). Now that you have me talking about it, I think I am going to get them.

Sweet, I rarely drive over 5 miles a day so noise dont bother me, but when i visit my mom I got to go up the mountain(I-77 very steep) and my jeep always wants to over heat so I am afraid that the more aggresive will cause more drag therfore causeing it to over heat.

I think super swampers are a little soft for a DD.

I have 32.11.50 ProComp AT. It's a good all around tire.

I would not recommend it as a mud tire.

I like the look's of the BFG AT better.

I had a set of 33x12.50 SS TSL Radials on my CJ7. It was bout a 50/50 DD rig. Aired up to max they were fine on the road. After a while of air downs to 10psi on 15x8 rims They would get slightly out of round and you could notice it on road aired up. Something like that never bothered me.

If you got any snow and or ice in your area you may want to consider something else. I had these when i was in northern Minnesota and they did great in deep snow but snow/ice packed road surfaces forget it. I even aired them down for winter a bit to give beter grip and they worked a bit better.

Also nice thing about Swampers. They work great for off-road and dont hurt the wallet much.

I vote for the BFG's as well. Last set I had lasted 60k with regular rotations. Can't beat 'em IMHO. The MT's is a different story, they seem to wear like it's nobody's biz! I'd stay away from the Kuhmos. Unless they have changed greatly in the last few years, their truck tires suck. Don't get me wrong, I love Kuhmo car tires and race tires(owned both and would again) but the truck tires just didn't hold up. My $.02...

I've been running trxus m/t on my DD and they are fine. If you're gonna go with a super swamper and you want a decent ride, go with the SSRs. They are radials so they won't wonder as much as bias and they have excellent tread wear for that style of tire. The trxus are also pretty good for a lot less money. I wouldn't reccomend BFGs. They puncture waaay too easy.

I on the other hand am getting ready to put on a set of 33X14 boggers on my rig :shocked:! Wish me luck.

how about General Grabber AT2s? Look a lot like the BFG A/ts and a save a bit of $ too.

I've been looking very closely at the Maxxis Bighorns. I can get 4 of them in 31" size for $478 SHIPPED on ebay. a TJ buddy of mine has been running them for around 2 months and loves them, he does a lot of driving and says they're wearing fine, and quieter than BFG MTs They've got a pretty aggressive tread, wider tread pattern than the BFG MTs have, and they're siped, which will help a lot for wet roads. spces: http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=282

just another option :) I should have those under my XJ by the end of the month. I'm running Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos now... awesome all terrain tires, sticky but good wear, too. great traction where I've been offroad (sand and rocks, a little mud) and they've done very well. on rocks, followed guys with 33" MTs with my stock-size tires onto the Blue trails, and even ventured onto a Black trail.

I have been running 32" super swamper ssr's for about 8K miles now on my DD. They work quite well on road, not too noisy & not much vibration for an aggressive tread pattern. Siping helps in the wet.
I did have a problem with a lump in the tread of 1 of them... its now my spare.
I wheel about twice a month. They do work well just about everywhere, rocks, muddy slop etc. But the sidewall strength & durabilty is a concern, mine do have a few cuts & some tread chunking from rocks.....but it all depends on what kind of terrain you wheel on.

also, they do run large.... my ssr's measure at about 32.7", about the same as your average 33".

I have no experience with them, but I have heard from a few different sources that Nitto tires are great. They supposedly balance very well, last decent for DD, and go quite well off road.
I have done very well on my BFG KO's (31' flavor) in the slop. In fact I have only taken a strap one time sense I have had them, and that was because I was bottomed out on my hitch in the back lifting the rear end off the ground. They have supprised me, and just about everyone I have wheeled with on how well they do. They're wearing great I've probably got at least 40k on them, and there just a bit past the 3/4 wore out stage.

Last edited:
Back