• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat Removal

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, Im am down to testing the o2 sensor and cat for fixing my problems....
FSM states that you need to heat up the connection between the muffler and cat. Is there another way seeing as I don't have access to a torch and really don't feel like buying one? I am going to swap in my cat from my OTHER 90' (since I KNOW it's good), unless there is another way to test for a clogged cat while still in the vehicle? I tapped on it and it doesn't rattle. I really don't want to buy a NEW cat without testing the old one first.... 120$ for a magnaflow at my parts store.

Pull athe upstream sensor on the mainfold, connect up an air compressor and see what kind of flow you get. I just remember reading somewhere that that was one way to check for a clog.

RichP said:
Pull athe upstream sensor on the mainfold, connect up an air compressor and see what kind of flow you get. I just remember reading somewhere that that was one way to check for a clog.
No air compressor (im po').... And friend isn't answering his dang phone.

langer1 said:
Connect a pressure gage in place of the o2 sensor, with the engine running you should never see more than 7# at any RPM.
What kind of pressure guage? Tire? fuel? compression? Special fittings needed?

imma honky said:
What kind of pressure guage? Tire? fuel? compression? Special fittings needed?

Yea, what he said, what kind, [excuse to go buy new tool] guess you have to do it cold too but thats just a guess.

RichP said:
Yea, what he said, what kind, [excuse to go buy new tool] guess you have to do it cold too but thats just a guess.
Well, I already have a fue pressure guage and compression guage.....

imma honky said:
Well, I already have a fue pressure guage and compression guage.....

Yea, but I'm wondering if you need a speical high heat gauge that will handle the hot exhaust gasses. Would tick me off If I cooked my snap-on gauge.

RichP said:
Yea, but I'm wondering if you need a speical high heat gauge that will handle the hot exhaust gasses. Would tick me off If I cooked my snap-on gauge.
Yes, that would definitely suck!

serialphreak said:
there is such a thing as a Back pressure guage. or make your own. use steel braided line, and a fitting that will thread into your 02 sensor upstream from your cat. for a guage use a 0-30 psi guage. rev it up to 1500-2000 rpm anything over 6 or 7 its plugged.
I found one of those guages..... 145$. Anyone happento know the thread pitch andsize of the o2 sensor on a 90'? I might just try and make one.

Back